4.25 gal or so into secondary - oxidation concerns?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Malty_Dog

Reaction score
As stated, would you legitimately be concerned about a 4.25 gal or so batch going into 5 gal secondary for a second stage dryhop (headspace)? First stage will be in primary (loose whole and pellet hops). Second stage same thing.

I could try bagging first dryhop, pulling when done, then throwing second dryhop into primary as well I suppose.

Would anyone be concerned about oxidation if not filling secondary to neck (although I imagine hops would fill space/layer on top of beer)?

Based on the overwhelming response :p and the fact that its a DIPA which will be consumed quickly, I think I won't worry about it.:)

Would I be concerned? Yes.

Would I worry about it? No, not really. The dryhopping will provide some nucleation points and some c02 will be released into the headspace and that will help protect the beer. I normally dryhop in the primary, but not always, and as long as the time in the secondary is minimal, that much headspace should be ok (although not ideal).

How's that for wavering? :D

Thanks Yoop - I thought about the nucleation sites and CO2. I don't have a way to fill secondary w/CO2 currently. That would probably be an ideal solution.

Back