3rd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmtn

Reaction score
Ok, had to take a break from brewing for a bit but i finally have my 3rd batch in the fermentor. It is my second batch of Holiday Ale.

6.6 lb light LME
1 lb Golden DME
1 lb corn sugar
12oz caramel 80L
4 oz chocolate
4 oz Black Patent
spice pack(unknow besides orange peel what's in)
1 oz bittering hops
1 oz Flavoring Hops
1 yeast satchet
It is a kit from Brewers Best called Holiday Ale
on the box
IBU's 40-48
OG:1.027
ABV 7%-8%
Full bodied amber beer.

It went in the fermentor around 9pm Sunday. Picked in the closet today and no bubble yet. Hope it starts soon. The First batch was totally awesome! Everyone that has had it loves it.

:mug:

yeah, but it makes it fun when you peek in and see some, i dont count them, i just peek in and take a look once in a while. right now its between 68-70

*update* as of 9pm tonight EST my brew has been in the fermentor for 96 hours. There is no visible off gasing at this time. (yes i know that does not mean it is not working) This is the first time i have taken a sg during the fermentation process. the sg at this time is 1.026. Running through my head that would make it 5.5% at the moment since the og was 1.068. Unless i am wrong, this is another example of "bubble watching" can make you nervous. You guys let me know what you think and let me know please. I have not been concerned about this brew yet but then again im new and if i am missing something let me know.

Thanks All,
John:rockin::mug:

Sounds good to me- next time I'd ferment closer to low 60s F (in the beer, not ambient). A beer like this should hide at least some off flavors from warm fermentation, though. Remember that fermentation creates heat and can raise the beer up to 10F above ambient (ask me how I know). For the cleanest, happiest ferment, shoot for low 60s F.

Back