3rd batch - scotch ale - think fermentation is stalled

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BradTheGeek

Reaction score
I am in a hurry so I will try to make this post quick and check it later. Last Monday I started a Scotch ale. Corrected OG at pitching time was 1.080. 24-30 hours later it was blowing off madly. Temps have been kept between 62 and 67. Blow off stopped after about a day. The ale pale does not seal well, so after the pressure dropped I saw no blow off/ air lock activity, but I did not expect it.

I opened the bucket today and saw a few yeast rafts, but no real bubbling. I took a hydrometer sample and it was at 1.030 corrected. In my mind it should be lower, or showing more activity then it is. The smell and taste were spot on (a little young and thin, but I think age will correct that). To my tongue, it did not really taste sweet.

I checked my hydrometer in 60 degree water and it was right at 1.000 to 1.001 so I do not think it is the issue.

Could it just be slow to finish? It is all steeped grains and extract (no dextrose or other simple sugars added to reach OG). So could it all be unfermentable sugars?

The wort was well aerated before pitching, and the yeast took off like a rocket, so I do not think that was an issue.

I am wondering what to do. Wait? Warm the fermenter a few degrees? Rack to secondary and try to bring some trub over and see if it takes off again?

From what I understand british ale yeasts can flocculate out and stall, especially at lower temps. The yeast used was Windsor, and I rehydrated before pitching. That is why I have the idea of moving to secondary. I just don't want to oxygenate it now as it IS beer.

Any advice is welcome.

I think it's done. 1080 to 1030 gives you an apparent attenuation of 61%. Per Danstar's site, it says this yeast will leave the FG a bit high (see below). 1030 is within guidelines for the style. You might be able to get it to drop a little bit if you gently rouse the yeast and raise the ferm temp a little bit.

• Quick start to fermentation, which can be completed in 3 days above 17°C.
• Moderate attenuation, which will leave a relatively high gravity.
• Fermentation rate, fermentation time and degree of attenuation is dependent on inoculation density, yeast handling, fermentation temperature and the nutritional quality of the wort.
• Non-flocculent strain, but some settling can be promoted by cooling and use of fining agents and isinglass.

Hey Brad.

I don't mean this in a mean way, but have you had scotch ales before?

They are typically rather sweet in smell and taste, so to me your final gravity is really spot on and will make for a complex and interesting beer. Some historical scotch ales finished at 1.05 with a 9% abv, so I'd say yours is in the ballpark for the style.

Personally, I would bottle or keg a scotch ale at this point. It will only have 6-6.5% abv, though, which isn't really typical of the style.

I had a similar problem with a recent RIS. For mine, I kept my ambient temps at about 65, but my beer fermented so vigorously that temp in the bucket was well outside of a healthy range, crashing at about 1.028. I was able to get them started again though and they fermented from 1.094-1.018 in primary, and they kept going in secondary to 1.014. If you're certain that this isn't the problem, then another would be that the yeast could have flocced out.

Either way, a likely fix is to GENTLY rock the fermenter for about a minute, a couple times a day for the next three days. Do not splash any liquid in the inside. You do not want additional oxygen in your beer right now. If you get no further activity, let it all settle for 2-3 days and transfer to secondary. A beer this big wont be hurt by staying in the fermenter a while.

While 1.030 is in the range of some scotch ales, many are more dry, and I'm willing to bet that you can still get some of that sugar converted.

Either way, let us know how it turns out.

Cheers

Thanks fort all the input. I think the color and taste are right where I want them. I was hoping for a little more attenuation, perhaps 65-70% and a FG of around 1.020, putting the ABV right in the range for the style as the ABV is a bit low for it right now. I will try rousing the least a little over the next few days and see what it does. Since the pail does not seal the best, I am worried about oxygenation, so I want to hurry it to secondary (a glass carboy), and keep a protective CO2 layer on it.

Once it is in secondary, I plan on using some Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips in it. In suggestions on sanitizing, amount and duration?

I am thinking 1-1.5 oz for 2-4 days. But still worried about sanitation. I am afraid steaming will take a lot of the flavor out.

Thanks again.

P.S., TopGunTango, no offense taken. Wee Heavies are not my preferred style, but I do love some. There is a local one that is really good. I tend toward hoppier beers, but there is a big place in my soul (or stomach) for this style :p

Thanks fort all the input. I think the color and taste are right where I want them. I was hoping for a little more attenuation, perhaps 65-70% and a FG of around 1.020, putting the ABV right in the range for the style as the ABV is a bit low for it right now. I will try rousing the least a little over the next few days and see what it does. Since the pail does not seal the best, I am worried about oxygenation, so I want to hurry it to secondary (a glass carboy), and keep a protective CO2 layer on it.

Once it is in secondary, I plan on using some Jack Daniels whiskey barrel chips in it. In suggestions on sanitizing, amount and duration?

I am thinking 1-1.5 oz for 2-4 days. But still worried about sanitation. I am afraid steaming will take a lot of the flavor out.

Thanks again.

P.S., TopGunTango, no offense taken. Wee Heavies are not my preferred style, but I do love some. There is a local one that is really good. I tend toward hoppier beers, but there is a big place in my soul (or stomach) for this style :p

Personally, I would soak the chips in Jack Daniels overnight. It will sanitize them, lend additional whisky flavor and up the abv a bit. I've never done with JD though, only with actual scotch (I use a cheap Grant's).

Otherwise, you can cover them with water and boil for 5-10 minutes... Then you dump the whole thing, water and all, into your secondary and rack the beer on top of the chips. That way you don't lose any of the smokyness. The latter technique will give you a subtler whisky/vanilla/oak taste.

P.S.: I prefer the hoppy beers as well. :)

I like method two. Saves me money since I don't keep any JD at home (or any hard liquor). Thanks for the input, I will keep you all posted.

I use Tango's method one with four roses yellow label. It's less expensive than JD (and a bit better imo). LHBS can also get fresh toasted oak chips that will still be sanitized from the toasting procedure. (I don't know the marketing behind this very well, but the chips at my LHBS are for wine brewers and supposedly 100% sanitary to throw in to the carboy- should be the same stuff at your store.) Throw a pint of your cheapest whiskey in there to soak for 24-48hrs and you're all set.

That is pretty slick, I've never seen those before. I'm interested to see how the flavor comes through, this seems like an easy and authentic way to add flavor. Between these and the yeast, you have a bit of follow up to fill us in on in a month.

An update. I put the chips in 2 days ago. I did not boil or soak them. I just tossed 'em in. I was going to bag and sink them with glass beads (that I had sanitized), but the neck of my carboy is too small. So I just fed chips in. About 2 oz. I tasted today, and what a difference.

No sign of infection, just really tasty beer. The oak/JD flavor is a little strong, but not overpoweringly so. It may be stronger toward the top where I sampled from too since the chips float. In a few minutes I am going to boil up some DME and bottle this bad boy.

Sounds like this is working out nicely. 2oz for 5gal right? I think I may try to steal your method.

Latest posts

Back