3rd All Grain Batch - New Zealand IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakecpunut

Reaction score
Well... Got my 3rd all grain batch under my belt and I think I've finally got my system figured out as far as my boil volumes are concerned. STILL trying to get my efficiency on the money though!

As I mention in the video I "think" it may be the crush? All 3 of my All Grain Kits have came from Austin Home Brew. I've read in different threads that a finer crush can make a big difference in the efficiency!

I'm not way off on my efficiency, but I want to do better!!!!!!!

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
I can't hear the video. I have no sound.

Way off what? What's the problem with your efficiency?

Like you don't hear it because there's a problem or just no audio on your computer? Just making sure cause I can hear it on mine..

Well on the 3 AG batches I've done, I've gotten low conversion... My SG readings on the 1st 2 were about 1.5 points off.. this one just a tad over a point.. I may be just being too anal about it haha.. I just wanna know what to do, or what I'm doing wrong, that's causing it!

Your mash temp is very low. You might not be getting good mash conversion because of this. 60 minutes might not be enough at that temperature. Next time try 152 for 60 minutes and see how you do. You can have great lauter efficiency, but if you didn't get good conversion efficiency because of a low mash temp, that will effect your overall efficiency.

The sound problem is on my end. I have no speakers on this computer

Take a gravity reading of your first runnings and compare it to this chart. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/File:First_wort_gravity.gif

This will let you know how you stand on conversion. If you match the numbers on the chart and you still have poor efficiency, you lauter is the problem. But don't get too crazy about getting high efficiency numbers. Consistency is much more important. That and the quality of the wort.

Your mash temp is very low. You might not be getting good mash conversion because of this. 60 minutes might not be enough at that temperature. Next time try 152 for 60 minutes and see how you do. You can have great lauter efficiency, but if you didn't get good conversion efficiency because of a low mash temp, that will effect your overall efficiency.

Just noticed your mash temp was 140F. That's wicked low. 147F is probably the lowest I'd go. If your mashing at those lower temp the enzymes work much slower and you should extend the rest to 90 minutes. 90 min at 147-150F will produce a wort with very little dextrines. The beer will have a very light body and thin mouthfeel. This is desirable in some styles and a fault in others. If you want more body mash at a higher temp like 155-162F

Also, calibrate that thermometer, if you can, in some boiling water. I have one just like it, that I don't use anymore, and reads 12 degrees off. Just think, you could actually be mashing at 130F.

well.. i did go 90 on the mash which i thought would help for the lower mash temps.. I dunno.. i just keep thinking it may be the crush or maybe i need to stir more??

Thanks!

The sound problem is on my end. I have no speakers on this computer

Take a gravity reading of your first runnings and compare it to this chart. http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php/File:First_wort_gravity.gif

This will let you know how you stand on conversion. If you match the numbers on the chart and you still have poor efficiency, you lauter is the problem. But don't get too crazy about getting high efficiency numbers. Consistency is much more important. That and the quality of the wort.

Cool, thanks for the advice and the link!

Just noticed your mash temp was 140F. That's wicked low. 147F is probably the lowest I'd go. If your mashing at those lower temp the enzymes work much slower and you should extend the rest to 90 minutes. 90 min at 147-150F will produce a wort with very little dextrines. The beer will have a very light body and thin mouthfeel. This is desirable in some styles and a fault in others. If you want more body mash at a higher temp like 155-162F

Actually I did go 90.. I haven't rewatched the video so I'm wondering if I said 60 but I actually did a 90 minute mash and 2 ten minute batch sparges..

I was looking for the lighter body so that's why I went with the lower temps (as told to me by AHS) for this recipe he created.

Thanks for the advice!!

Also, calibrate that thermometer, if you can, in some boiling water. I have one just like it, that I don't use anymore, and reads 12 degrees off. Just think, you could actually be mashing at 130F.

I calibrate it each time.. I do the crushed ice in water though and get 32 degrees instead of boiling.. I may need to calibrate it on the high end though so thanks for that tip!

I calibrate it each time.. I do the crushed ice in water though and get 32 degrees instead of boiling.. I may need to calibrate it on the high end though so thanks for that tip!

Boiling is not 212F in all locations. Up here in the mtns, boiling is anywhere from 206-210F depending on altitude. Just something to consider when you calibrate.

I mentioned boiling because it is closer to mash temps. When you put it in boiling water after being calibrated in ice water, I can almost guarantee it will not read 212F ( adjusting for elevation). Distilled water is also best for calibration.

There are many factors in fixing efficiency problems, but when you mash at that low of a temp, you got to think that that may have been the overriding problem.

Back