3rd AG...first AG Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Evan!

Reaction score
Giggity-giggity! I finally got to brew. It'd been like 3 weeks! WTF is that?

I decided to try out another oatmeal stout (the first one was papazian's recipe, and he told me to dry-hop it, and that ruined it!). This time, I went all-grain (except for some malto-dextrin added right at flameout :D ), and I made it into an Imperial version.

I did quickly-stepped mash, just to see what kind of efficiency I could get...and because I used carapils and maltodex, I knew it could only get so dry. Figuring on 72% efficiency, which is what my last AG was, I was expecting an OG of 1.074. I took a sample from the kettle just before adding the maltodex at flameout, and ended up with 1.080 or so, or 78% efficiency! :ban: This thing should rock faces!

Used a couple pounds of quick oats, some carapils, a bunch of roasted barley, chocolate, and debittered black patent for really dark color. I'll post the recipe below, but keep in mind that the reason I had so many different base malts is because I was cleaning out stragglers in my grain bin. pound here, couple pounds there.

Anyway, brew went great. Woke up at 4:45, mashed in by 5:30. Good god, getting 1.080 from all grain is crazy. I used 5 or 6 gallons of strike water! Brought it up to 135f for 25 mins or so, then brought it up to 150 or so for 55 mins, then 158 for 20, then sparged. Unfortunately, as it turned out, my second runnings were still 1.030, so I had to sparge AGAIN with another gallon. This batch sparge thing isn't the best, but it's all I got right now. So I ended up using two separate brew pots because I had so much liquid, and I also ended up with like a 90-minute boil in order to bring the volume down to 5 gallons. I mean, I probably used 10 gallons all-told, and ended up with 5 in the fermenter. That's alot of evap! Anyway, so, the boil took longer, but I was still done with everything by 11.

I strained the wort onto an existing cake that I saved from my imperial stout last week. Whitelabs British Ale. This stuff is odd, though. I got it from a local brewmaster, straight from his conical. But it's weird because it never gets much of a krausen. RIght now, as I type, the airlock has like 2 or 3 bubbles per sec, but hardly any noticeable krausen. Wierd. The last stout did that too---took like 2 weeks to finish fermenting, and never got much of a krausen. I swear, I still wonder if he didn't goof and accidentally give me a lager yeast, because it sure acts like one.

So, yeah, there it is. I'm happy. I now have 30 gallons in carboys. Go beer! :rockin:

Oatmeal Stout v2.0 - Imperialistical!

A ProMash Recipe Report

BJCP Style and Style Guidelines
-------------------------------

13-C Stout, Oatmeal Stout

Min OG: 1.048 Max OG: 1.065
Min IBU: 25 Max IBU: 48
Min Clr: 22 Max Clr: 60 Color in SRM, Lovibond

Recipe Specifics
----------------

Batch Size (Gal): 5.00 Wort Size (Gal): 5.00
Total Grain (Lbs): 15.25
Anticipated OG: 1.081 Plato: 19.58
Anticipated SRM: 65.6
Anticipated IBU: 51.3
Brewhouse Efficiency: 78 %
Wort Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Pre-Boil Amounts
----------------

Evaporation Rate: 15.00 Percent Per Hour
Pre-Boil Wort Size: 5.88 Gal
Pre-Boil Gravity: 1.069 SG 16.81 Plato

Formulas Used
-------------

Brewhouse Efficiency and Predicted Gravity based on Method #1, Potential Used.
Final Gravity Calculation Based on Points.
Hard Value of Sucrose applied. Value for recipe: 46.2100 ppppg
% Yield Type used in Gravity Prediction: Fine Grind Dry Basis.

Color Formula Used: Morey
Hop IBU Formula Used: Rager

Additional Utilization Used For Plug Hops: 2 %
Additional Utilization Used For Pellet Hops: 10 %

Grain/Extract/Sugar

% Amount Name Origin Potential SRM
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.6 0.25 lbs. Debittered Black Patent Malt America 1.028 525
23.0 3.50 lbs. Pale Malt(2-row) America 1.036 2
19.7 3.00 lbs. Vienna Malt America 1.035 4
13.1 2.00 lbs. Flaked Oats America 1.033 2
11.5 1.75 lbs. Pilsener Malt(2-Row) Continental Eu 1.035 1
6.6 1.00 lbs. Cara-Pils Dextrine Malt 1.033 2
6.6 1.00 lbs. Crystal 40L America 1.034 40
6.6 1.00 lbs. Roasted Barley Belgium 1.030 575
4.9 0.75 lbs. Chocolate Malt Great Britain 1.034 475
4.9 0.75 lbs. Melanoidin Malt 1.033 35
1.6 0.25 lbs. Coffee Malt America 1.030 350

Potential represented as SG per pound per gallon.

Hops

Amount Name Form Alpha IBU Boil Time
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1.50 oz. Northern Brewer Whole 6.50 37.8 60 min.
1.00 oz. Goldings - E.K. Whole 6.00 11.9 30 min.
0.50 oz. Liberty Pellet 4.00 1.7 10 min.

Yeast
-----

White Labs WLP005 British Ale

Excellent. That is one H@LL of a grain bill.

I love stout. The couple pounds of Quick Oats and the dextrin will give you a meal-in-a-glass.

I did a similar recipe a few weeks back and threw in a 1/4 lb of lactose at bottling time.

Any chance you can get that brew kegged and tapped in time for St. Patty's day?

KalvinEddie said:
Excellent. That is one H@LL of a grain bill.

I love stout. The couple pounds of Quick Oats and the dextrin will give you a meal-in-a-glass.

I did a similar recipe a few weeks back and threw in a 1/4 lb of lactose at bottling time.

Any chance you can get that brew kegged and tapped in time for St. Patty's day?

Doubtful. Gonna need more time than that. But I do have a carboy full of Dark Horse, my imperial stout with espresso and chocolate in it. That should be ready by then. I don't keg, though, just bottle.

Back