3725 flavor profile

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kidsmoke

Reaction score
After searching several sources, I've seen that the upcoming Wyeast 3725 is not as clean of a bieré de garde yeast as it's name would suggest — which is perfect for a dark session saison I have planned. Given that the source brewery (Fantôme), which may or may not use mixed fermentation, not to mention spices, I was wondering what sort of flavor profile have people gotten from this specific strain in a non-spiced and single yeast beer?

Seems more like a saison yeast than anything else. The source is Fantome, and Fantome makes saisons. I'm going to ferment a Saison this weekend with it.

I pulled the trigger and ended up using this in a saison on Sunday. It's still fermenting, and I just added some more dark candi syrup to get some more dark fruit notes. I'm surprised how malty, as advertised, it still is given that the early test show it in the single digits (1.008). There are some spicy saisony flavors, but they are rather subdued despite pushing this yeast up into the 80's.

The source is Fantome, and Fantome makes saisons.

Thanks for the info, I had no idea...;p

I know what you mean. Saison yeasts are bizarre. My other beer brewed with the French Saison yeast finished at 1.002, but was full-bodied and still about as sweet as my Trappist-style brews. Weird!

Gonna make a starter tomorrow. :ban:

Any updates on these? I'm considering this yeast right now for a Farmhouse-style ale with the focus on malty spiciness rather than the funk of a saison. I guess I'm conceiving something like a Bier de Garde or even Octoberfest, but without having to lager it away for months.

I know what you mean. Saison yeasts are bizarre. My other beer brewed with the French Saison yeast finished at 1.002, but was full-bodied and still about as sweet as my Trappist-style brews. Weird!

Gonna make a starter tomorrow. :ban:

Which one did you use for that one? 3724 or 3711? Or did you use one of White Lab's?

For the one that finished at 1.002 I used French Saison (3711). I used Jamil's Saison recipe, which has some sugar additions.

Recently my brown Saison finished fermenting with 3725, starting at 1.055 with no sugar additions, and finishing at 1.006 using the Wyeast bier de garde yeast (3725). Seems like 3725 and 3711 have roughly the same absurd attenuation.

3725 is extremely attenuative, slightly more "tart" (not sour, no brett/bacteria), and way cleaner tasting than 3711 and 3724. My saison is young, but the prominent yeast character seems to be this high pitched tartness, somewhat like acetaldehyde or grape skins. However, it's young and not well carbonated.

From my experience, 3725 would work well in a biere de garde, especially if you ferment cool and maybe drop the sugar additions. I fermented mine at 70-75, and I'm not getting any prominent phenols or belgian yeast flavors--although maybe that's because my specialty malts are covering it up.

3725 is extremely attenuative, slightly more "tart" (not sour, no brett/bacteria), and way cleaner tasting than 3711 and 3724. My saison is young, but the prominent yeast character seems to be this high pitched tartness, somewhat like acetaldehyde or grape skins. However, it's young and not well carbonated.

From my experience, 3725 would work well in a biere de garde, especially if you ferment cool and maybe drop the sugar additions. I fermented mine at 70-75, and I'm not getting any prominent phenols or belgian yeast flavors--although maybe that's because my specialty malts are covering it up.

I had the same thing with 3725, especially the acetaldehyde with some cidery flavors. I used a pretty basic malt build with no specialty grains and didn't get much yeast flavor either despite fermenting at 80 degrees.

The advertised maltiness was definitely there though, despite being super dry which I could see fitting a biere de garde particularly well.

Back