3724 Starter - How long will it keep in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slcdawg

Reaction score
I made a 2L starter of 3724 (a finicky yeast) in an Erlenmeyer flask, but my brew day got delayed and its been in the fridge for 2 weeks with a piece of foil rubber-banded to the top. It may be another week before I can brew. Curious how long it will keep in the fridge? Should I transfer it to a canning jar? And, can I pitch directly or should I do another starter when I'm ready to brew?

In the past I have kept WLP001 starters in the fridge up to 10 days and pitched directly with no problems. But, 3724 is a finicky yeast...don't want a stalled fermentation and curious about best practices.

Cheers!
:mug:

You should be fine. If you like, you can always "proof" the yeast before using it, but that really isn't needed here.

Thanks for the info. So, how long can I keep it in the fridge and pitch directly with no starter? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

Thanks for the info. So, how long can I keep it in the fridge and pitch directly with no starter? 4 weeks? 6 weeks?

i've pitched a 6 months old mason jar of yeast into a fermentor and i'm sure i've done older pitches too. this all assumes your sanitation is good when putting the yeast into the jar and it's being kept cold.

You might want to put an airtight seal on it, you don't want O2 in there now that the yeast are sleeping. Also don't want fridge stank in your starter.

If it were me, I'd give it a feed of fresh starter wort 24-hours ahead of pitching to wake it up. I think it's worth a buck's worth of DME to make sure your fermentation goes well.

FYI - I transferred the yeast to a canning jar, filled to the rim, and sealed. This was after a couple weeks in the fridge. Apparently, it wasn't done fermenting the starter - it has expanded and caused a big dimple in the canning lid jar. Enough to remove the seal, and its leaking all over the place.

Very surprised since 3724 isn't known for liking low temps. Live and learn I suppose.

FYI - I transferred the yeast to a canning jar, filled to the rim, and sealed. This was after a couple weeks in the fridge. Apparently, it wasn't done fermenting the starter - it has expanded and caused a big dimple in the canning lid jar. Enough to remove the seal, and its leaking all over the place.

Very surprised since 3724 isn't known for liking low temps. Live and learn I suppose.

i've never had that happen but i don't fill to the rim either. i crack the lid while letting the yeast come to room temps before pitching and it has flowed out of the crack as it got warmer and the yeast starts expanding.

Back