3724 Best practices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BackAlley

Reaction score
Going to do a saison next week and I'm looking for a best practices.

Planning on an OG of about 1.065. Will mash low around 145 and am using a pound of jaggery.

I have a stir plate, can do as big as a 4l starter, have oxygen and temp control.

Thanks for any advice. Used this yeast 2 years ago but that was before I did starters and before O2. Got stuck that time at 1.025 and resorted to 3711 to finish.

Warm it as high as you can, up to 80-85, and you might also try an open fermentation, without an airlock but with a piece of foil bent over the top of carboy to prevent back pressure. Then, give it time and it will finish low.

I would hold off on the jaggery until you are well into fermentation. Once the krausen begins to recede, hit it with the sugar.

I would hold off on the jaggery until you are well into fermentation. Once the krausen begins to recede, hit it with the sugar.

Interesting. Does anyone else do this?

Is the thought to give them something easy to work on when they're getting lazy?

I've used this yeast many times are here are my tips:

if you are adding any extra sugars, add them a day or two into fermentation

let it free rise from slightly below 70F for a day or two then ramp up at least to the 80s. I usually add my sugar or honey here

keep it warm for the most of fermentation and you can cool it down to bottle so it settles more> i've never had this or the White Labs equivalent crap out on me like I hear about

Latest posts

Back