3711 Saison at 79% attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gittsom

Reaction score
I have a hybrid roggenbock (calling it the doppelroggen) brewing right now using wyeast 3711, and after two weeks it' only reached 79% apparent attenuation (from 1.076 to 1.016). Wyest says 77 to 83% attenuation, but every thing I've read about 3711 suggests that it will ferment down to single digits quite quickly regardless of the starting gravity. I've kept temps right around 74°. Should I just let it ride for a while or do you think it might be about done? It does have a pound of crystal rye in it, but I'm not sure if that acts like typical crystal malts...?

My last brew with 3711 hit 95% attenuation. It also took 4 weeks to finish. After a week or so I slowly ramped up to about 80% for a week and then let it finish at 68-70ish. It went from 1078 to 1004. Try ramping up 3F/day up to 78 or so and see what happens.

Attenuation is also going to depend on your mash schedule. I did a multistep mash at 122/144/158 for a very fermentable wort. Over the final week the SG slowly dropped another 3 points. I would say try the ramp up. When you think it's finished wait until you have stable SG for 5 days.

There's no harm in raising the temperature. 3711 can take a lot of heat.

Attenuation will depend on your wort. Saisons generally have a highly fermentable wort made from mostly pilsner and sugar and I don't know how it would cope with something darker and more malty.

I'm at three weeks now and it only dropped two points since last week. I'll try ramping up the heat and see where it gets me! Thanks

Back