36 hour fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedOctober

Reaction score
The nut brown ale I made on wednesday has completely stopped bubbling as of friday morning.

I remember when I pitched (dry yeast) there was a layer of white stuff on the bottom of my pitch glass....was that most of my yeast?

If so now what do I do?

Or am I like all the other noobs, just over-reacting?

Or should I relax and have a homebrew..

Or should I relax and have a homebrew..

Do that!! There is nothing unusual about losing the more violent reaction in just a couple of days, but the yeast is still doing it's work more slowly now. Don't feel tempted to rack to secondary or bottle too soon. Do your multiple hydrometer checks after 10 days or so, and ignore the bubbles. They tell you nothing. ALL is well :)

I've had it at 62-64 degrees for the past 3 days... is that too cold?

IME, those are nearly perfect fermentation temperatures! What yeast strain are you using?

Also, it's not unusual that active fermentation is over and done with in a few days, particularly if you are pitching enough yeast- but you should leave that batch in primary for at least two weeks. As you've no doubt read on the forum, an extended stay in primary allows the yeast to 'clean up' after themselves, consuming the funky compounds that are byproducts of fermentation.

Good luck! :mug:

"Also, it's not unusual that active fermentation is over and done with in a few days, particularly if you are pitching enough yeast- but you should leave that batch in primary for at least two weeks. As you've no doubt read on the forum, an extended stay in primary allows the yeast to 'clean up' after themselves, consuming the funky compounds that are byproducts of fermentation."

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

I wanted to free up the fermentor on Saturday (day 10 or 11) and rack to a secondary for another 2 weeks before bottling for another 2 weeks.

Which will make it ready around Thanksgiving, if its drinkable :p

does that sound good to you?

OK, so you're saying leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks then bottle and leave it for another 3 weeks.

Ok, Ill do it that way, less work too. :p

Back