34/70 pitch rate help!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

00Seven

All-Terrain Brewing Company
Reaction score
Brewing a lower gravity light lager Friday. It will be my first time with lager yeast. Expected OG is 1.033. Using brewers friend pitch rate calculator set to lager rate it says I only have about half the cells I need. I will ferment at 55. Should I go ahead and make a starter to get the needed cells or will it be ok with one packet since it will be warmer than most lagers?

Iseneye

Reaction score
What volume are you brewing? For 10 gallons you would need two 11g packs and for 5 gallons you would need one pack.

Dry yeast is super cheap so I would just buy another packet.

Gnomebrewer

Reaction score
Don't make a starter with dry yeast. One packet in 5gal of 1.033 wort will be OK at 55, two packs would be better.

OP
00Seven

00Seven

Reaction score
It’s 5.25 gallons. Problem is I’m a 2 hour one way drive from the closest LBHS store

Dland

Reaction score
As stated above, one pack is good for that volume, and recommended amount by Fermentis. I have even used one pack for 10 gallons, and it works OK, but is slower to start up, so I usually use two. Never used a starter with any yeast of that brand, and it always gets going.

Buy several packs, it keeps well, especially if you are going to drive after it. Where I live there is no local store(unless I want to take a expensive boat ride), but morebeer gets it to me in 2-4 days. Do they have any good internet beer sites in Aus? If not, there's a business opportunity for someone.

OP
00Seven

00Seven

Reaction score
As stated above, one pack is good for that volume, and recommended amount by Fermentis. I have even used one pack for 10 gallons, and it works OK, but is slower to start up, so I usually use two. Never used a starter with any yeast of that brand, and it always gets going.

Buy several packs, it keeps well, especially if you are going to drive after it. Where I live there is no local store(unless I want to take a expensive boat ride), but morebeer gets it to me in 2-4 days. Do they have any good internet beer sites in Aus? If not, there's a business opportunity for someone.
Yes Austin has a great store that ships. That’s actually where I got my last batch of stuff because they had a discounted shipping. Ordered on Thursday got it on Wednesday. I go to the Houston area for work so it is only an extra 30 minutes to get to their store but I’m not going up there for a bit and need to get this one started. Thanks for the info

Dland

Reaction score
Yes Austin has a great store that ships. That’s actually where I got my last batch of stuff because they had a discounted shipping. Ordered on Thursday got it on Wednesday. I go to the Houston area for work so it is only an extra 30 minutes to get to their store but I’m not going up there for a bit and need to get this one started. Thanks for the info
Haha, with the posts form Victoria and Hobart, I thought you were in Australia.