34/70 frement time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Robusto

Reaction score
Hi all,
How long do you think it should take 34/70 to hit FG from an og of 1.079? Also, what do you think my FG should end around?

I rehydrated an 11g pack as per the directions and pitched into 2 gallons of wort. Fermenter has been 52 degrees F give or take a degree.

Thanks!

What was your mash temperature and duration?

It's always hard to predict, but I would guess anywhere from 1.016-1.020 depending on the mash profile. It could go out of that range with extreme mash dynamics, like really low and long or really high.

As for time, I'd give it a good 14 days before even trying to take a gravity reading. Normally I'd expect 34/70 to be done at 7-10 days, but your OG is higher than my typical lagers (1.045-55).

McKnuckle-

I'm actually using it in a mead- I ve used wyeast 2124 in the same recipe before (traditional orange blossom, then oaked), but due to covid my brew shop has crazy hours. I had some extra 34/70 for a helles I'm making, so thought why not. I guess I should have said "must" instead of wort... force of habit.

Thanks

This is one of my favorite, go to yeasts. You will love it if you can keep the temp in the low 60's or less. It is usually done in 7 days and I get roughly 80% attenuation. As mentioned, if you keep it cool it is a very clean lager yeast and I've used it for delicious IPA's, Stouts and all sorts of lagers. Very versatile.

McKnuckle,
I'm in NNJ too (Bergen County). I go to Cask & Kettle- Main Street in Boonton. They are right off rt287. Good selection, and very helpful, but their hours are messed up at thd moment, so u always call before going.

Yes, I go there too sometimes. Just checking as your profile says Hoboken. We have only a couple of options around here! Good luck with your mead/lager.

I'm no expert, but if it's a mead, 34/70 should finish dry. FG around 1.000 more or less. Others, feel free to educate me, but if there is enough yeast nutrient, 34/70 should chew up practically all the fermentables.

Kmark-
Thats what 2124 did- finish dry then I rack off the lees then oak. Once I hit the right oakiness, then I'll stabilize and back sweeten if needed. Sometimes the oak will make a bone dry mead taste sweet- Sometimes the oak makes it need more sweetness.

Thanks

Back