33 days later and it's still bubbling?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
I made an Imperial pumpkin stout on the 28th of June. I pitched Wyeast London ESB yeast into my 6 gallons of wort in a 6.5 gallon bucket. 33 days later and the air lock is still bubbling. I took a hydrometer reading today. I started at with an OG of 1.076 and today I measured 1.022. The beer tastes phemonal. I figure a pumpkin stout will be enjoyed best in a few more weeks, so I'm not in a rush to bottle it and have bottle bombs.

Anyone else experience 33 days of a bubbling airlock and it not be an infection?

I thought of that too. I just seems odd that the bubble in the airlock is always in the "positive" pressure side and never the "vacuum" side indicating the beer is cooling and thus drawing in atmospheric air. It is always bubbling out and the temperature has been very warm in the fermentation room (78°F)

The only thing that airlock bubbles are a sure indication of is that there is an exchange of gas from one side to the other. Use a hydrometer to tell if the beer is done.

Beer that has fermented can hold a good amount of CO2 which will outgas for some time and make the airlock bubble.

Beer that has fermented can hold a good amount of CO2 which will outgas for some time and make the airlock bubble.

I did a Google search yesterday and found the same answer. I imagine the 6 gallons of warm beer will off gas over a long time.

Next Monday I will take another hydrometer reading. I don't expect it to change, and then I can bottle.this deliciousness for consumption on colder nights!

I have mine going on close to the same time and it's still bubbling. It's in a temperature controlled environment and still bubbling. 60F. I'm thinking there are tiny little yeasties eating things or just passing gas.

Back