30amp 240volt panel parts

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Trevor.Morrice

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,
I have been researching a 240v 30amp panel build using a 5500w element.
I'm having issues finding panel switches for 30amps?
I see a bunch of builds on here where they just use 20amp toggle switches but that doesn't seem right.
Am i missing something obvious or are people just using what they can find and hoping they don't fail?

bruce_the_loon

Reaction score
I'm not sure which designs you've looked at, but in most cases those toggles will probably be switching contactors and possibly driving the element through an SSR of suitable ratings. 20A toggles are fine for the contactor coil, but not the element directly as you have surmised.

Can you link one or two of them so we can have a look.

sicktght311

Reaction score
Yeah the design of most panels are so that it keeps all of the high amp parts of the design directly from point A to point B. Most designs have the lower gauge wiring coming into the panel, through an SSR, through a contactor, and then out to the element.

The switches turn on and off the coils of the contactors to select on/off state, or determine which element is firing. NOT to interrupt the power directly.

Deric

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
What is your setup? More info about what you want to accomplish would be helpful.

Odds are @doug293cz already has a panel design with appropriate parts posted here somewhere to get you started.

doug293cz

BIABer, Beer Math Nerd, ePanel Designer, Pilot
Staff member
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
Here's my favorite design for a one element, one pump control panel suitable for up to a 6500W element. This design includes a "Safe Start" interlock that prevents the main power from being turned on if either the pump or element switch is on. This can avoid some nasty surprises when powering up.

DSPR300 1-Pump 1-Element 240V rev-2.PNG

Brew on :mug:

Latest posts