Quantcast

3068 AND Chamomile in a Hef

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done a Hef using 3068 AND added chamomile? All the recipes I've seen use American Hef yeast, and the more research I do the more I'm thinking I need to add more Chamomile so that the yeast flavor doesn't over power it. I'm doing a 3.5 gallon batch this weekend (3.5 because I only have this much wheat LME on hand!)

5lbs wheat LME (65:35)
2 oz hallertau (2.7%) @ 60
0.5lb honey @ flameout
Wyeast 3068

I was going to do 2oz loose (not tea bags) chamomile at flameout... but might up it. What do you guys think?

LLBeanJ

Reaction score
The addition of chamomile has been long advocated by Jamil Z, so lots of brewers do/have done it, including me. I'm not sure it does much for flavor, though. It's definitely present, but whether it is a desirable flavor, I'm not certain, and it would come down to personal preference. I don't think German purity laws would allow it, though, so I would have to think that traditional Bavarian Hefeweizens would not have been/are not brewed with chamomile and when it comes to a textbook Hefe, the Germans have been nailing it for years. I honestly wouldn't bother with it unless you really want that flavor in your beer, as it's just not necessary.

OP
K

KlausUndFriends

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

I'm currently brewing my first traditional hef - wheat lme and hallertau at 60 for 10-12 IBUs with 3068, low 60s week 1, 65 week 2 and 70 week 3. That's it. Keeping it simple, but I wanted to jazz up this batch and since it's only 3.5 gallons I wanted to do something less traditional.

I had also considered orange or lemon peel...

Ah, too many decisions! While I was writing this I think I'm going to skip the chamomile and just do a small late hop addition of either cascade, chinook or centennial to give it some citrus. Not 'to style' but probably closer than chamomile and a few people on here have given good reviews on this method