30 Minute Miracle IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

geoffey

Reaction score
I've brewed this twice now, and although I don't claim that it's anything new or special I HAVE really enjoyed it and think it's worthy of sharing.

My goal was to create a beer that's quick and easy to make which I can feed into my pipeline on a regular basis. Toward that end I decided on an IPA as it's one of my favorite's to drink on a regular basis and I'm pretty picky about which ones I enjoy (I've VERY biased toward the west coast style american IPA). Next, I decided on an extract brew because I really want something I can whip up quick. So I decided to go a step further and try making a 30 minute extract IPA.

I was shocked at how well this turned out. So I did a slight tweak and brewed it again, and it came out even better. So this is definitely something I'll brew 4-6 times a year moving forward. Typically I brew all-grain on a no-sparge recirculating system. So this is a really nice break for me in which I can be done within an hour and a half if I really try, including set up and clean up.

1.5lbs extra light DME (30 Min)
1.5oz Columbus (30 Min)
3lbs Northern Brewer Superstructure IPA LME (10min
1lb Wheat DME (10min)
2lb extra light DME (10min)
1lb Munich LME (10min)
2oz Mosaic (Steep for 20 min after flameout at 180f)
2oz Equinox (Steep for 20 min after flameout at 180f)
1oz Citra (Steep for 20 min after flameout at 180f)
US-05 (or try The Yeast Bay Vermont Ale yeast) at 64f
Dry Hop 1oz each of Mosaic, Equinox and Citra at 10 days.
OG 1.062

Nothing to out of the ordinary here, but man it turned out much better than I had hoped for. This is a short boil, add the extract late in the boil (or even flameout would be fine), hop-bursted IPA. You could easily add more extract or plain sugar and push this into the IIPA territory, but I expect you'd also want to up the battering addition and the hop steep addition.

The only thing to note is that this beer REALLY benefits from aging a couple of weeks (after kegging or bottling) before it hits its prime. I noticed that on both batches.

Thanks for sharing this. Sounds pretty good!

I could go for a quick batch as an intermediate brewday, and this is an inspiration to perhaps give it a whirl. I have 6+ lbs of light LME that I bought as part of a kit when I first started last fall, and I should probably get to using it sooner rather than later, so I could start from there and see what happens.

The best thing about this recipe is that it's quite flexible. Have different hops you want to try? Substitute the steep or dry hops without changing the rest of the recipe. Want a slightly lower abv? Put in less LME at the end.

Back