30 minute boil

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
My propane ran out so I got only about 30 minutes of boil time.
I'm predicting less hop bitterness. Any ideas how it will affect flavour?
It's a Northern English Brown Ale. I'm splitting the 10 gallons into 3 batches to try 1968, 1135, and Danster ESB yeasts.

You should be pretty decent. I used a calculator that showed about a 25% dropoff in bitterness, but that isn't a highly bitter style so you are just hoping you have enough balance. You will probably get a bit more hop flavor.

good to know. I used 3.2 oz of Willamette (at 6.8% AA) from the start of the boil. It was more than the recipe called for (2 oz) so I might be around where the recipe required. I might have some DMS from the use of pilsner malt (it's all I had) because of the short boil but this might be okay in a dark, full bodied beer.

10 Gallons Hull Ave Brown
17# pilsner malt
2# crystal 60L
3/4# dexedrine malt
1/4# chocolate malt
1/8# black malt
2 oz of Challenger, EKG or Willamette for 60 mins.
British Ale II yeast

I'd guess you'll be just fine. This style doesn't call for intense bitterness. I've done similar ales with 40 or 45 minute boils with good results.

Was this all grain or extract... you may have some DMS issues if all grain, but I wouldn't sweat it too much.

I've read that hop isomerization (bitterness) is 90% complete in 30 minutes. I often do a 30 minute boil with no noticeable off flavor but I've not used pilsner malt.

I've read that hop isomerization (bitterness) is 90% complete in 30 minutes. I often do a 30 minute boil with no noticeable off flavor but I've not used pilsner malt.

I believe it's closer to 80%, but yeah.

Concerns with DMS, while real, are also blown way out of proportion. The odds of experiencing much DMS even with a 30 minute boil are quite low with 21st century malts and techniques.

I've done a 20 minute boil in a pale ale before (95% 2row, 5% munich) and it came out with just a hint of DMS. I literally brewed the beer specifically as an experiment to test out how much DMS I would taste. So I wouldn't worry too much about it. Probably still make a decent beer, though Pilsner is widely regarded as the worst for DMS precursors requiring boil off.

Back