~30 hours of mental airlock activity, and then nothing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrandMothTarkin

Reaction score
Hi guys

Another annoying newbie question. I have searched the forum and I haven't seen this discussed; I hope I didn't miss it.

On the weekend I put my second ever batch in the fermenter. It was an IPA from extract. I used Safeale US-05 yeast and pitched after cooling the wort to 20C.

Airlock activity started fast and furiously, bubbling ever 2 seconds or so. I (probably quite stupidly) put the fermenter on a heat pad, not knowing how much this would warm everything up.

The furious bubbling persisted for the first day and a bit, but when I checked the following day, nothing. No gurgling at all. The thermometer showed about 25C. I turned off the heatpad, but still no activity after three more days.

I'm worried I've cooked my yeast, or else it's blown its load.

I know that no airlock activity /= no fermentation, but it was bubbling so furiously at first. My first batch bubbled away pretty steadily for a couple of weeks, so it seems weird.

I would really like to RDWHAHB, so can someone set my mind at ease? Should I try pitching some more yeast? I have some champagne yeast in the fridge, could I use that?

25 C is very warm and it is very likely that your yeast finished their job quickly due to the high temperature. Take a hydrometer reading every 24 hours for the next three days. If it doesn't change then fermentation is over.

According to the data sheet on that yeast, it's meant to be rehydrated at between 24C and 30C. If your thermometer showed 25C, it might have gotten up close to 30C near peak fermentation, but that shouldn't have been anywhere near high enough to kill the yeast. Most likely, when you got the yeast that hot, it just supercharged them and they chewed through your wort a lot faster than usual. High fermentation temperatures typically result in some off flavors, but it should still be decent beer. I'd give it about 5-6 more days and then take a hydrometer sample. If it's much below 1.020, your beer should be well fermented. Check it again ~2 days later, and if it's stable, you can bottle it any time after that.

you will also most likely have off flavors. leave it in a cool place (60-65F) for a while to clean up...in the future ferment at the lower end of the spectrum...05 is best in low 60's. I fermented once in the 70'sF and it never really tasted right. time will help but 25C (77F) is kind of a no-no unless you are shooting for banana esters :)

--time will help and who knows it may taste perfect!

Thanks very much for your replies, guys. That does ease my mind somewhat. Will take some readings.

I don't have a glass carboy for conditioning. Would you recommend leaving it in the fermenter for a couple more weeks, or would it be better to get it off the trub and into bottles for a longer period of bottle conditioning?

Cheers.

the trub won't hurt anything. I would bulk age another week (atleast) then taste gravity reading. if its "fruity" give it a little more time...

Leave it where it is for a couple more weeks. Yeast does more than just ferment your beer, it will clean up off flavors and clear your beer if you leave it long enough. You taste buds will thank you for not rushing it to the bottle.

also--ipa's give a little room for error b/c of the hoppy flavor. it should come out great. if it is "fruity" (which it may not be) a extra week and/or an ounce of dry hopping should cover it...

--cheers :)

Back