3 way liquid splitter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ragman

Reaction score
I may be over thinking this but perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

My 2 friends and I brew large 12 gallon batches which we split into 3 - 5 gallon cornys for fermentation.

Trying to put an equal amount in each keg has been a pain as we have no 4 gallon marks on the inside of the kegs.

Want to make sure we are all getting an even amount of beer and that the last one filled isnt getting a lot of trub.

We sometimes just gravity feed from our keggle into the kegs, sometimes we use a pump. We use large diameter silicone tubing.

Looking for some kind of liquid splitter that can take the one tube coming out of the keggle and split it into 3 liquid tubes - one for each keg.

Anyone ever seen such a thing?

I used to do this two ways and just used a plastic barbed tee from the hardware store. Worked pretty well. You’ll still have to watch it and pinch off flow if one of the lines gets greedy. If you use a pump the flow should be more even though.

Here is a potential three way splitter, but you could also just make one by sweating some copper.

https://www.dripdepot.com/item/barb...91ShxtrAVV2fJkNBkEmXRmHwCdLfhxShoCsmQQAvD_BwE
Or this:

https://www.homedepot.com/p/SharkBi...sion-Multi-Port-Tee-Fitting-UAMPT3C/318492769

I may be over thinking this but perhaps someone here could point me in the right direction.

My 2 friends and I brew large 12 gallon batches which we split into 3 - 5 gallon cornys for fermentation.

Trying to put an equal amount in each keg has been a pain as we have no 4 gallon marks on the inside of the kegs.

Want to make sure we are all getting an even amount of beer and that the last one filled isnt getting a lot of trub.

We sometimes just gravity feed from our keggle into the kegs, sometimes we use a pump. We use large diameter silicone tubing.

Looking for some kind of liquid splitter that can take the one tube coming out of the keggle and split it into 3 liquid tubes - one for each keg.

Anyone ever seen such a thing?

Do it by weight. Record the tare weight for each keg (attach with tape or a tag) and then fill them to the same weight.

You could estimate that each keg would need about 8.33 (pounds/gallon) * specific gravity of the wort * 4 (gallons) = pounds of wort to add.

If you are worried about too much trub, make an extra gallon of wort in your batch so that you aren't trying to transfer a bunch of sludge to the last keg.

1)Take a keg and add four gallons of water using a known measure, a gallon jug, a half gallon graduated container, whatever, then mark the outside of the keg with a sharpie marker, a piece painters tape or whatever. Mark all kegs similarly. No marks on the inside, no worries, look in, look out, get close.

2)Use a "dipstick" that has been marked from a previously measured keg. This can be you brew spoon, or something else that can be easily sanitized.

3)As previously mentioned, use a scale and simple math.

Concerned about trub, fill keg one halfway, fill keg two halfway, fill keg three, go back to keg one, then keg two, filling each accordingly.
Or everyone, has a turn being last on a rotation basis, last man get a bit extra to offset the trub.

Make sure at the end of the boil, that there is a bit over twelve gallons, so that each gets four and the trub is discarded.

You seem to be overthinking the task.

Use water first to find the 4 gallon mark in each keg. Then scribe the 4 gallon mark in each.

Voila!

1)Take a keg and add four gallons of water using a known measure, a gallon jug, a half gallon graduated container, whatever, then mark the outside of the keg with a sharpie marker, a piece painters tape or whatever. Mark all kegs similarly. No marks on the inside, no worries, look in, look out, get close.

2)Use a "dipstick" that has been marked from a previously measured keg. This can be you brew spoon, or something else that can be easily sanitized.

3)As previously mentioned, use a scale and simple math.

Concerned about trub, fill keg one halfway, fill keg two halfway, fill keg three, go back to keg one, then keg two, filling each accordingly.
Or everyone, has a turn being last on a rotation basis, last man get a bit extra to offset the trub.

Make sure at the end of the boil, that there is a bit over twelve gallons, so that each gets four and the trub is discarded.

You seem to be overthinking the task.

I like the dipstick idea, too!

It could even be a dipstick calibrated for use in the kettle. Measure 13 (or whatever) gallons post boil, empty into keg 1 until it shows 9, then switch to keg 2 until 5, then switch to keg 3.

The problem with this design is attaining even distribution of flow is a PITA. With all things equal, you need to have a large manifold to distribute into three smaller legs, fluid will take the path of least resistance so anything downstream of the "manifold" is going to affect flow. One tube being 1-2 inches longer than the others will create restriction, ventilation and port size could vary.

It would be best to have a pincher on each line to either restrict or stop flow if one keg fills quicker than the others. This method will allow you to simply Tee up into multiple lines without worrying about distribution since you control each leg.

To me it sounds like more stuff to clean but I also see the advantage.

Or build a bigger fermenter. Half barrel Sanke kegs hold 15.5 gallons - sounds perfect for your batches and you split the beer up after the fermentation is completed.

Last edited:
If you set it up as described with a manifold and 3 same length tube, theoretically you will create a water level and end up with equal amounts in each keg. I do this when splitting mash runnings into two BKs. In practice it can be difficult to purge all the air out of the lines and air will block the path leading to uneven flow. Also, this only works for gravity feed.

Back