3-Way L-Type Ball Valve question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Woodbrews

Reaction score
Will this Duda Energy 3-way L-port ball valve control flow volume, or just direction? Thinking of using it immediately after my pump, and wondering whether it will control flow. Also wondering whether it would function as a bleeder valve to assist with priming my Chugger pump? Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't have it fully open in one direction the third port will leak, since the edge of the "L" will be somewhat pointed into the last port.

Will this Duda Energy 3-way L-port ball valve control flow volume, or just direction? Thinking of using it immediately after my pump, and wondering whether it will control flow. Also wondering whether it would function as a bleeder valve to assist with priming my Chugger pump? Thanks!

I have these on my rig and in my experience they will only control direction, not flow rate. But then I’ve never tried that way. They appear to shutoff flow except when aligned and then it is full open. Standard ball/shutoff valves are already a little coarse in their flow control and your idea would be extremely difficult to control, if there is any at all.

As a bleed valve you would leave the any one side open and you could bleed through it, which I suppose could reduce the number of fittings and valves installed and might make up the cost difference, but IMHO you will still need a regular shutoff/ball valve to throttle your flow rate.

I have a standard tee coming off my pump which has a bleeder shutoff on the tee side and the throttle valve on the inline side. Then after the throttle valve I have my 3-way to control direction. [emoji482]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back