3 tier

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kdp

Reaction score
I would like to know how a 3 tier brewing system works and is this the best one to build

Well a 3 tier system usually employs the force of gravity to transfer liquid from one vessel to another as opposed to pumps, although using pumps would be fine on a 3 tier.

Simply......
You would have your Hot Liquor Tank on the highest tier, your Mash Lauter Tun on the middle tier, and your kettle on the lowest tier. You just use the force of gravity to have your Sparge water flow down into your mash tun, and then from your mash tun into your kettle.

Now you can get very elaborate with your setup. Play around with a design, based around what kind of equipment you want to use and what processes you want. If you were to batch sparge, I think you could get away with a 2 tier setup.

As far as which one is best? This is largely a matter of personal preference. The best one is the one that works best for you. It all depends on what you like, and how you plan on brewing.

Mine is a 4-tier. the only difference is my boil kettle is 20" off the floor so I can drain (or siphon) into a carboy. Somethin to think about. The only drawback is the bottom of my HLT is 6' high so you almost have to have a hose to fill it (or get a workout pouring smaller containers of water in there). Also, the top of my Mash Tun is 6' high, so I have to mash-in with a step stool.

Mine is a 4-tier. the only difference is my boil kettle is 20" off the floor so I can drain (or siphon) into a carboy. Somethin to think about. The only drawback is the bottom of my HLT is 6' high so you almost have to have a hose to fill it (or get a workout pouring smaller containers of water in there). Also, the top of my Mash Tun is 6' high, so I have to mash-in with a step stool.

I have the same kind of setup and I fixed that problem by plumbing water lines to my HLT and kettle. With the turn of a vale I can fill the HLT without any climbing.
CYNVR-310927687-MVC-697F.JPG

Back