3-tier vs single tier systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
What are the general thoughts on a 3-tier system. It seems to me most of you out there are choosing a single tier. What are the reasonings behind this? What are the pros/cons of each?

Also please feel free to show of 3-tier or single tier systems :D

single tier, it's all at the same height. Easier to see in your pots, don't have to get up on a ladder or anything. Downside is you need pumps, no gravity. My single tier pulls double duty as a 3 burner stove on my smoker trailer.

Gravity vs. Pumps. That's the difference.

2-tier is really a decent compromise because it gets you by with a single pump and still lets you flow two liquids. The pump also doubles to push wort through an external chiller and a RIMS/HERMS if you go that route.

The one "pro" of the single tier that dfess1 mentioned, being able to easily work inside the vessels at a comfortable height, is actually irrelevant for the HLT. You really never need to see inside if you have a sight glass and a means to deliver the fill water in directly.

2-tier is really a decent compromise because it gets you by with a single pump and still lets you flow two liquids. The pump also doubles to push wort through an external chiller and a RIMS/HERMS if you go that route.

The one "pro" of the single tier that dfess1 mentioned, being able to easily work inside the vessels at a comfortable height, is actually irrelevant for the HLT. You really never need to see inside if you have a sight glass and a means to deliver the fill water in directly.

Thoughts on this 3-tier setup? http://www.blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html
Im thinking I will have something like the 4th picture.. ie top tier is with a burner for HLT, 2nd tier is shelf for cooler MLT (batch sparging) and 3rd tier is burner for BK.

I have a pump, but I built a 3-tier anyway just in case the pump ever fails in the middle of a brew day.

There's two drawbacks to a 3-tier system as far as I can tell:

1) It's high, so you might have to use a step stool or ladder to stir your mash in the MLT
2) It has a high center of gravity, so you've got to be careful about tipping it over

I'm short, so I like a single tier system. I can stir my mash, check temperatures, add hops, etc, all at my level without standing on a step stool or ladder. That's the big advantage. I had a two-tier system for a while, but it was a PITA to get my CFC to work from the lower start on the second tier so I raised it up and added another pump.

If you batch sparge, you can get by with one pump on a single tier, but otherwise you need two pumps for the traditional single tier.

A single tier system can also be done with several transfer buckets.

I agree. Two tier is the perfect compromise. Not too tall, can fly sparge, and have the flexibility/utility of a pump.
Finished my build and did a first AG brew on it, things went very smoothly.

Storage room, might be a plus for the 3-tier

Teach your 3 tier to this:

P1040313.jpg

P1040314.jpg
P1040315.jpg

I agree. Two tier is the perfect compromise. Not too tall, can fly sparge, and have the flexibility/utility of a pump.
Finished my build and did a first AG brew on it, things went very smoothly.

Did someone say 2 tier?
P1010532.jpg

P1040574.jpg
P1040573.jpg
P1040576.jpg

When I first considered getting into all grain my only thought was a 3 tier system. Just figured it was the simplest, smallest footprint and cheapest. I realized however that with a pump I didn't need any type of "brewstand" and could just use a two vessel system (now three) with a couple of portable propane burners. I like my single tier because I don't have any hot liquids above my head and don't have to climb any ladders either.

I build a 3 tier and like it, i do have to use a stepping stool to dump water in my HLT, but it works for me. Beats the crap out of lifting heavy/hot liquids. I just didn't want to deal with pumps.

my sort of two tier.......pump from HLT to MT, gravity from HLT to BP, and BP to fermentor. THE HLT has a 1500 Watt element in it.....

two tier.jpg

Back