3-tier vs single tier systems

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score
What are the general thoughts on a 3-tier system. It seems to me most of you out there are choosing a single tier. What are the reasonings behind this? What are the pros/cons of each?

Also please feel free to show of 3-tier or single tier systems :D

dfess1

Reaction score
single tier, it's all at the same height. Easier to see in your pots, don't have to get up on a ladder or anything. Downside is you need pumps, no gravity. My single tier pulls double duty as a 3 burner stove on my smoker trailer.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
Gravity vs. Pumps. That's the difference.

2-tier is really a decent compromise because it gets you by with a single pump and still lets you flow two liquids. The pump also doubles to push wort through an external chiller and a RIMS/HERMS if you go that route.

The one "pro" of the single tier that dfess1 mentioned, being able to easily work inside the vessels at a comfortable height, is actually irrelevant for the HLT. You really never need to see inside if you have a sight glass and a means to deliver the fill water in directly.

OP
H

HoppyMcHopster

Reaction score

2-tier is really a decent compromise because it gets you by with a single pump and still lets you flow two liquids. The pump also doubles to push wort through an external chiller and a RIMS/HERMS if you go that route.

The one "pro" of the single tier that dfess1 mentioned, being able to easily work inside the vessels at a comfortable height, is actually irrelevant for the HLT. You really never need to see inside if you have a sight glass and a means to deliver the fill water in directly.
Thoughts on this 3-tier setup? http://www.blichmannengineering.com/brew_stand/brewstand_modular.html
Im thinking I will have something like the 4th picture.. ie top tier is with a burner for HLT, 2nd tier is shelf for cooler MLT (batch sparging) and 3rd tier is burner for BK.

LandoLincoln

Reaction score
I have a pump, but I built a 3-tier anyway just in case the pump ever fails in the middle of a brew day.

There's two drawbacks to a 3-tier system as far as I can tell:

1) It's high, so you might have to use a step stool or ladder to stir your mash in the MLT
2) It has a high center of gravity, so you've got to be careful about tipping it over

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I'm short, so I like a single tier system. I can stir my mash, check temperatures, add hops, etc, all at my level without standing on a step stool or ladder. That's the big advantage. I had a two-tier system for a while, but it was a PITA to get my CFC to work from the lower start on the second tier so I raised it up and added another pump.

If you batch sparge, you can get by with one pump on a single tier, but otherwise you need two pumps for the traditional single tier.

H-ost

Reaction score
A single tier system can also be done with several transfer buckets.

evandena

Reaction score

I agree. Two tier is the perfect compromise. Not too tall, can fly sparge, and have the flexibility/utility of a pump.
Finished my build and did a first AG brew on it, things went very smoothly.

Gear101

Reaction score
Storage room, might be a plus for the 3-tier

OneHoppyGuy

Reaction score
I agree. Two tier is the perfect compromise. Not too tall, can fly sparge, and have the flexibility/utility of a pump.
Finished my build and did a first AG brew on it, things went very smoothly.
Did someone say 2 tier?

lpdjshaw

Reaction score
When I first considered getting into all grain my only thought was a 3 tier system. Just figured it was the simplest, smallest footprint and cheapest. I realized however that with a pump I didn't need any type of "brewstand" and could just use a two vessel system (now three) with a couple of portable propane burners. I like my single tier because I don't have any hot liquids above my head and don't have to climb any ladders either.

TravisT

Reaction score
I build a 3 tier and like it, i do have to use a stepping stool to dump water in my HLT, but it works for me. Beats the crap out of lifting heavy/hot liquids. I just didn't want to deal with pumps.

fpweeks

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
my sort of two tier.......pump from HLT to MT, gravity from HLT to BP, and BP to fermentor. THE HLT has a 1500 Watt element in it.....

two tier.jpg