3-Tier Setup

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

par383

Reaction score
So, I'm not exactly new to brewing beer per say, but all my brews have been partial extract brews. I'm thinking of making the switch to all-grain brewing. I've seen a lot of pictures of people with the 3-tier setup, and I think I get the basic gist, but can someone please explain what you're doing? I've tried looking online, and haven't really seen a good site that explains it. Also, I usually make 5-gallon batches, boil 3 gallons (because that's all my pot holds) and add 2 gallons of water on top. I have two pots, should I boil both at the same time?

Thanks!:mug:

That's more beneficial for guys going 10gal and up right? I mean 7lbs per gal.. 5 gallons = 35lbs plus maybe another 10 in grain? 45lbs isn't **** to move around on your own. Or so I'm assuming.

I plan to make a 3 teir but out of milk crates and a couple of handy panels.. temporary for racking n such...

You could probably build something, everything pre-built is expensive to me..

par383 said:
So, I'm not exactly new to brewing beer per say, but all my brews have been partial extract brews. I'm thinking of making the switch to all-grain brewing. I've seen a lot of pictures of people with the 3-tier setup, and I think I get the basic gist, but can someone please explain what you're doing? I've tried looking online, and haven't really seen a good site that explains it. Also, I usually make 5-gallon batches, boil 3 gallons (because that's all my pot holds) and add 2 gallons of water on top. I have two pots, should I boil both at the same time?

Thanks!:mug:

This explains it pretty well, with some pictures: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html

(Go down the page about half way)

I boil about 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch, so you'd need a bigger pot definitely. You do a full boil (all the wort, no top up water) with All grain. But partial mash would be a great way to incorporate some AG brewing with the ability to do those smaller boils.

YooperBrew said:
This explains it pretty well, with some pictures: http://www.howtobrew.com/section3/chapter18-3.html

(Go down the page about half way)

I boil about 6.5 gallons for a 5 gallon batch, so you'd need a bigger pot definitely. You do a full boil (all the wort, no top up water) with All grain. But partial mash would be a great way to incorporate some AG brewing with the ability to do those smaller boils.

Thanks. Yeah, I currently do a partial mash, but after reading everything on HBT, I'm getting the itch to try an all-grain mash.

Oh, I know how that is! I mean, less than two years ago I bought a Mr. Beer and I ended up going AG just after Christmas last year. I really never thought I'd want to do it, let alone be sucessful at it!

Ask any questions you want- the whole HBT community helps!

Back