3 piece Valve help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I recently bought 8 stainless steel ball valves( great price ) but the are not threaded, these are 3/4" ... they look to be sweat type as in copper, but being stainless, I would guess they need to be welded ? is there any thing I can do with these? or should I just sell them ?

Help:confused:

You might be able to silver solder (special brazing rod) them together. You'll need more than a propane torch though. Gotta add some O2 to get the flame hot enough to do this. I've successfully silver soldered several SS threaded nipples onto SS boil pots and in the next couple days I'm going to braze a 90 degree elbow compression fitting onto one to rig up a sight tube.

mrbowenz said:
I recently bought 8 stainless steel ball valves( great price ) but the are not threaded, these are 3/4" ... they look to be sweat type as in copper, but being stainless, I would guess they need to be welded ? is there any thing I can do with these? or should I just sell them ?

Help:confused:

There has to be someone local that would be willing to weld these for you. You could even check on trade schools or colleges with a welding program.

The problem here is that you will probably need to buy nipples as well, and may need to get them made for you. Most off the shelf nipples aren't the right gauge to fit welded type fittings properly. At any rate, you might be better off to sell them.

I have a welder ( mig ) , but pipe is the issue, I have only schedule 40 threaded in 1/2 and 3/4", there nice 316 SS, by Apollo, I got 8 for 80 bucks , maybe an adapter from 3/4" welded to 1/2" female like a bushing .....hummm, I should have been more careful with the description when I bought them ( ebay , no returns ) , any other ideas ?

Bobby_M said:
The problem with trying to tap them is that the ID is already large enough to slip a pipe in. IOW, it's starting with too large a diameter already.
It would probably tap out to 1", though... Depends on the thickness.

if they are weld on valves, they are ether buttweld [pipe and valve I.d. same size]
or socketweld [pipe O.D. and valve I.D. same size]
buttweld valves can be taped NPT or butted up and welded up
socketweld valves jest silp the pipe in it 1/8 of an inch from the bottom and weld it up

You might be able to tap them, but be warned, those large taps aren't easy to use and keep straight (if that matters to you).

If the inside bore of the flange is .75" then you have purchased 3/8" pipe socket weld valves. Go to http://www.buyfittingsonline.com/ and buy a couple 3/8" X 4" SS pipe nipples and cut them in half and weld them in the flanges. Easy way to weld the nipples in is to use a coupling and clamp a pipe nipple with a coupling in a vise and thread in loosely the cut nipple, tack flange, rotate and square to pipe, then rotate while finishing weld. Take the flange and nipple part out of the coupling before it cools or it might be a permanent joint when cold.

Back