3 Piece Airlock problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ernie3

Reaction score
My 3 piece airlock may have malfunctioned. I noticed it needed to be topped off a little this morning, so when I went to fill it back up to the line I realized the floating part was stuck to the part that goes thru the lid.

I pressed down on the lid to see if this would release it, but it did not. It didn't even bubble. So now I am thinking that the floating part was filled to the top with water. Now I am afraid that when I pressed down on the lid and released it that it may have sucked some water back into the pail.

I have had this batch in the Primary for 22 days now, its a Nut Brown Ale.
Do you guys think it will be OK???? The more I think about it too, there were a couple of drops of water on the underside of the floating part so I really think it sucked in:(........

Strange thing is I never saw any bubbles what so ever when I pushed down or when I released the lid.

Even if you used water, you should be ok. The chances of anything getting through are pretty small. If you used vodka or starsan, then even better. Bleach water might be a problem, depending on the strength and amount.

Thanks Guys... I hope you are all right. I am just concerned because it is water I used and it is quite "old water" now. I am keeping my fingers crossed.
I think I will probably bottle it tomorrow.

Bottle tomorrow if you were going to bottle tomorrow anyway, but don't rush to bottle just because you got some airlock water in it. If (and that's a big IF) the water is going to infect it, bottling early isn't going to stop that.

After 22 days, I find that my airlocks will all be lower. Mostly because of evaporation I assume since my house is very dry, but I've seen at least some instances where the float sinks a bit because of changing atmospheric pressure...and I suppose it is plausible that some airlock liquid gets sucked back into the mix because of it. No worries. 1/2 vodka 1/2 water.

Next time you fill your three-piece try filling it a bit below the line. If it's the same as my three-piece airlocks, it's think it's designed to not suck liquid into the carboy/pail if it's filled to the right level.

You will be perfectly fine dude, 100% certain. You are not the first person to ask this question, your situation is no different or more unique than the other thousands of people who have asked this question over the years on this board I am sure of that. Relax, crack a nice microbrew, your beer is fine. If you want to know the reason why, its because the yeast have already taken a foothold in the wort/beer and they are the dominant microbe in there, any competing microbes will not survive because they will not be able to get a foothold in there due to the monopoly the yeast have on the nutrients. :)

I am feeling ALOT better about this now....Thanks Guys:mug:

Back