3 new labels and some thoughts requested...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

With write ups or without?

• keep the write ups

• NO write ups

Results are only viewable after voting.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
So of my past labels one of the biggest critiques was that the label was too busy. So my main request is for you to vote - with write ups or without...

The Watermelon/Blueberry batch that got split to two 3g carboys with the respective fruits appear to have gone bad - I still bottled a few of each just to try once carbed but as a result I didnt want to spend as much time on the label. But I think I like the cleaner less busy look without the write ups. I should have a full blown site in a month or so where the write ups could go (and eventually maybe back/neck labels) but figured I'd turn to my favorite place for comments...

Watermelon Wheat (no write up example 1)
41135_148084125215788_124944130863121_315199_4054372_n.jpg

Blueberry Wheat (no write up example 2)
44651_148084241882443_124944130863121_315200_3536879_n.jpg

Iron Bull (write up example 1)
44651_148084245215776_124944130863121_315201_4600853_n.jpg

let the voting commence!

yeah - I find papyrus font agitating for some reason.

The labels seem really busy to me - like I don't know what to look at first. Seems you have tried to stuff text into every area of the label (someone drinking this needs to see the OG and FG?). Sometimes less can be more.

Not trying to be an ass, just giving my gut initial response.

yeah - I find papyrus font agitating for some reason.

The labels seem really busy to me - like I don't know what to look at first. Seems you have tried to stuff text into every area of the label (someone drinking this needs to see the OG and FG?). Sometimes less can be more.

Not trying to be an ass, just giving my gut initial response.

So you prefer non-write up to the write up one? Any recommendations on a different font that would fit a similar style thats not papyrus?

OG/FG are more for me and easy to lose...though I like having the batch # on there.

Because of how busy it is without the write-up I'd vote for without the write-up. That is, unless you can do something to draw focus to one place then smoothly move it to another, etc.

Really nice designs though!

I am not a fan of the writeup at all - they should be relegated to a backside independent label if need be. You could instead put in small typeface of the url to a webpage about that specific batch/beer.

The batch# is actually a nice addition - and can point you to finding the info like OG and FG so it doesn't have to be on the label. I might also perhaps turn the brewed and bottled dates to all numbers (ie. 08/15/2010)

I do like the main graphic and the banner - very well balanced. Just changing the font might make it look less busy overall.

I like a simple Arial font. Very readable and plain, yet not boring. Typically in marketing the main text display (ie. brewery name/Beer name) should have an expressive font, but any informative text should be small and plain.

rev 2...

feels alot cleaner...may make the move to numeric dating - it will keep me from having to play with those boxes based on the length of the spelt out month and all batch/detailed info will be on the website (now included on the right side)

45537_148104195213781_124944130863121_315285_4146962_n.jpg

45537_148104191880448_124944130863121_315284_3864991_n.jpg

40419_148104035213797_124944130863121_315283_825670_n.jpg

As of now, I'm the one vote for the write ups. I like them here, and on commercial beers. This reminds me of Victory.

I usually associate writeups to be on the box or carrier the beer came in, not usually on the bottle. That's just my two cents. Otherwise, I think the labels look friggin' awesome.

I like the writeup, but make the text size a lot smaller, use a plain font like helvetica or arial, and make the text box 'justified' so it's a rectangular chunk of text. And find some sort of UPC code image to include below the text block for a more 'commercial' look.

Are you set on using justified text? I would either rework the writing to avoid "rivers" and empty voids or use a normal left alignment.

not set...and now that you mention it and I hit left I think I like it alot better to avoid the 'rivers' you mentioned...good call! cheers! :mug:

Love your labels, like the write up (and the smaller write up seems like a good compromise, but still could be 'played with')

One for "Bolero Snort Brewery", one for the "NO BS..." part, another for the brewed, bottled, abv information, one for the "Established 2010", one for the beer name, another for the style and now Arial for the write-up.

That's 7 different fonts you have on this label. Does that bother anyone else or am I just being weird...

*EDIT* Yet, on your website, the logo looks very clean and professional because you only have two typefaces going on. You have the "Bolero Snort" one up top and everything else on the bottom part of the logo is another font. Why not just stick with those two and do all the other wording in the font that's used on the bottom portion of your logo?

One for "Bolero Snort Brewery", one for the "NO BS..." part, another for the brewed, bottled, abv information, one for the "Established 2010", one for the beer name, another for the style and now Arial for the write-up.

That's 7 different fonts you have on this label. Does that bother anyone else or am I just being weird...

*EDIT* Yet, on your website, the logo looks very clean and professional because you only have two typefaces going on. You have the "Bolero Snort" one up top and everything else on the bottom part of the logo is another font. Why not just stick with those two and do all the other wording in the font that's used on the bottom portion of your logo?

I actually never really realized just how many were being used as the logo was done by BrewBrandCreative and I drop that in to PowerPoint where I add the background and all that other info...

Just emailed them to figure out which fonts are used and can probably get it down for 7 to 4 or so with that info.

Appreciated the compliments on the very remedial site - the full blown one is coming soon and I will keep limiting the # of fonts on that in mind. Thanks for the feedback :mug:

Back