3 months in primary - referment in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

ipscman

Reaction score
I've gotten waaaaay behind. Forgot all about a Doppelbock I brewed on Christmas day. Triple decoction, the whole nine. It's been in a plastic bucket fermenting at 50 degrees for over three months! So I'm aware there will be some issues with oxygen uptake through the plastic. But its beer, right? I promise not to keep it forever. I'll drink it faster than planned.

So, tomorrow, I plan to sugar prime this into bottles. I originally used Wyeast 2206 Bavarian Lager. Do you think I need to referment (add fresh yeast in the wort) due to the length of time it has been since it went into fermentation (i.e., possible autolysis, lots of dead cells); or is there enough viable yeast remaining after all this time to perk-up, consume some dextrose and produce some carbonation?

WBC

Reaction score
You can add new yeast when bottling to the pail if you are worried. Bottle as normal.
It will be fine. I have had my beer for over a year in a keg and it is still good.

david_42

Reaction score
If there is any autolysis, it will be obvious. Most likely the yeast are fine and will carbonate normally.

giligson

Reaction score
How can you forget about your beer like that!!!! :eek:

If its crystal clear then you might want to rouse a little bit of the yeast.

OP
I

ipscman

Reaction score
Forgot because I did 23 all grain brews in 6 months and that one was my only lager, hid away in a different cold closet.

;-)

Latest posts