3 hour boil???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Z

Reaction score
What is a possible reason to boil for 3 hours???

New Glarus Alt Clone
5 gallons

Efficiency=79%
OG=1.081
FG=1.018 (at least, that's what I'm shooting for)
ABV=8.3%
IBU=63
SRM=12

8.75 lb American 2-row
1.5 lb American Light Munich
1.5 lb Turbinado Sugar
1.33 lb Wheat Malt
6 oz Belgian CaraMunich
4.5 oz Crystal 120
1.25 oz Chocolate Malt (I'd try German Carafa II)

3.25 oz Styrian Goldings (5.5% alpha, 90 minutes)
0.5 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (4% alpha, 15 minutes)

Wyeast 1007 German Ale Yeast (might be able to sub 2565 Kolsch Yeast, not sure which is more alcohol tolerant)

Make a nice big yeast starter in advance. Use enough water to allow for a 3 hour boil!! No special water requirements, just be sure to get the chlorine out. Mash 151 F for improved attenuation (turbinado sugar should also help with that). I'll say it again: 3 hour boil! It's going to be a long day. Add hops per schedule. Chill and pitch yeast. Ferment for ~6 weeks at 58 F. When finished, crash to 32 F for a good 4-6 weeks. To duplicate the oak aging, add oak chips to secondary per normal procedure (I've never done so) OR add 1.25 tsp real Mexican vanilla extract at bottling time (this amount I do know will turn out perfect). You could also add 1 vanilla bean in secondary, presoaked in alcohol, this should give similar effect. Carbonate on the high end, 10 Tbsp table sugar, or heaping 3/4 cup corn sugar, for 5 gallons. This should be effervescent with good head retention.

taken from http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=68768

cz

The easy answer is because that's what New Glarus does. You will get a more caramelized flavor and higher alcohol content from the evaporation.

ok, as I'm still learning. . . couldn't that (more potential alcohol content) be achieved by adding more grain? And the same with the carmelized flavor, is there a grain that could duplicate that?

Sort of. But not exactly. Have you ever had a Samichlaus? Or a Scottish Strong? I think tasting a few examples of beers that use long boils may help you understanding.

no I have not, but if it does make a difference then so be it. I'll now set out to tase scottish strongs and the other one you mentioned.

thanks

cz

Deleted -- nevermind . . . crazy as it seems, the NG website says they do use a 3 hour boil.

in the recepie he also makes mention "mash 151 F for improved attenuation (turbinado sugar should also help with that)."

He is not suggesting mashing in with the sugar; that is to be added to the boil pot correct?

maybe a couple of decoction mashes would carmelize and darken this up? then a 90 minute boil for the hops, DMS and further darkening?

that's the only way I can think to shave down a 3 hour boil...a 3 hour boil.

What is a possible reason to boil for 3 hours???

Other than darkening the beer more I can't think of any reason.
The ancients used to boil for like 10 hours or so because they thought you had to. They were mistaken.

I believe you could compensate for a shorter boil time with the recipe. I don't know exactly how, but I speculate that you could. I've heard that melanoidin malt does a good job of taking the place of a decoction mash. I think it might also do the same for a 3 hour boil. Again, just speculation.

Back