3 gallons kegs - headspace?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skram

Reaction score
Hi everyone - I am shopping around for 3 gallon kegs. I have confirmed with Adventures in Homebrewing that their 3-gallon kegs have a bit of headspace - can anyone speak for other brands like AEB or Amcyl?

I make 3 gallon batches and am looking for a 3 gallon keg that I can use for secondary/dry-hopping, and maybe carbonating too.

Most of my 3g kegs are AEB. I have 14. A few are used American made Cornelius brand.
Ive been very pleased with the quality, particularly the AEB.
I’ve also either added CBDS to them or shortened the dip tubes about 1/2” and added SS filters. Both of these work very welol with hoppy beers or when I keg condition.

Most of my 3g kegs are AEB. I have 14. A few are used American made Cornelius brand.
Ive been very pleased with the quality, particularly the AEB.
I’ve also either added CBDS to them or shortened the dip tubes about 1/2” and added SS filters. Both of these work very welol with hoppy beers or when I keg condition.

Thanks! How much actual volume do you have in your 3 gallon kegs? Is there any headspace after you put a full 3 gallons of liquid inside?

I try to average 3g per keg after losses to hop debris, etc. so I brew 6.5g per batch.
If you put in 3g you should have plenty of headspace. That will fill the keg to right at the seam at the top of the straight side of the keg.

Back