3 gallon keg

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
Why the hell are 2.5 and 3 gallon corny kegs so expensive? I would love to keg, but since i am an apartment dweller, i cannot devote my fridge to 5 gallon kegsAll of the small cornys i have seen are EXPENSIVE. About $119 for a new one. The used ones on ebay would be about the same with S&H.

I would imagine because most of them are new and fabricated to meet the demand from the homebrew market.

The majority of corny kegs are surplus from the soda companies and I don't think they used many (if any) 3 gallon cornies.

I ended up with probably seven 3 gallon cornies and I sold all but one. I agree with you that they're not really worth that much money, which is why I sold them instead of keeping them.

I'd love to have one for bringing along to parties or homebrew club meetings; since that seems to be a pretty common sentiment, people are willing to pay a significant premium for them.

i got mine on ebay for about $120 shipped for 2 of them. I love mine. i can fit 2 in the bottom of my refrigerator and have room for a shelf for food. So i just carb up in the 5 gallon, transfer 3 gallons to the small corny and then bottle 2 gallons. its fabulous!

I got all 3 of mine for around $35 bucks--right when I started brewing. That is a bargain now.

I use them all the time, mainly to separate batches--but the sole purpose when I bought them was to put them in my travel kegerator. That hardly gets used now that I have the bar--because I invite everyone over to my place now. ;)

Most corny kegs are used kegs from the soda industry.
They mostly used 5gal Cornys so that is the most common size available. There are now a large number of these used kegs on the market keeping the cost low.
New 5gal and 3gal kegs costs about the same which makes sense because the only difference is the height of the keg. The expensive parts are all the same. Because there are much fewer used 3gal kegs available the prices are usually either for new kegs. If you do find used kegs available they are usually priced more in line with a product that sees little wear from use. So used prices for 3gal cornys are dictated by the price of a new keg while 5gal kegs are controlled by the supply of used kegs and their shipping.

I really need to get some kegs because I expect the prices for 5gal kegs will only increase as the supply is used up, demand increases and their scrap value increases.

BTW you can fit a 5gal keg in some compact fridges. You should be able to find room for one of them in your apartment.

Craig

Craig

Living in an appartment should not keep you from kegging, it is possible to keg and store in a sanyo without taking up much room...

I live in an apartment with a small kitchen, and managed to convince SWMBO to let me keep a 10cf keezer in there. I do most of the cooking anyways. A 3.2 CF keezer, or sanyo, etc is not that difficult to wedge in, unless you live in a microscopic place.

Yea i could fit a sanyo in my apartment. I would LOVE to but i need to save money for my wedding :( You better believe i am going to buy some kegging equipment with the wedding gift money!

Well that's a bummer. I have one 3 gallon keg and eight 5 gallon kegs that I thought about converting a few...the most I've had full at one time was 4.

Back