3 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdf191

Reaction score
This question probably answers itself. I am assuming a 5 gallon pitching amount of yeast that is used in a 3 gallon batch will result in fermentation beind done faster..( since less sugar + more yeast = less work for it). But will this also quicken the potential time needed for conditioning? I am brewing a big wee heavy in 3 gallon form and I was wondering if it will achieve in a little more of half the time the same conditioned aspects as would take a 5 gallon batch months.

You may save some time.

If you under pitch then the yeast will multiply until you have an optimal level. Any more than this will not benefit the brew.

What yeast are you using? How much of it? did you do a starter?

my instinct is to say fermentation will probably start and end faster, but i don't think you'll get the same benefit for the conditioning. the extra yeast will ferment faster, and so it will start to flocculate sooner, but then you have more yeast overall to settle out. conditioning isn't just about getting yeast to fall to the bottom either. the time a beer spends conditioning changes its character and i don't think you can necessarily speed that up by pitching more yeast. i'd also double check to make sure you're not over pitching. a 5g pitch rate going into 3g sounds like it might be ok, but if you were actually achieving an optimum pitch rate for 5g with starters, etc then i'd check to make sure.

I was using wyeast scottish ale yeast. And I was pitching it in an over 1.080 og brew so I thought a 5 gal smack pack would be a good pitch rate. I thought it would almost act like making a big starter for a 5 gal batch. Maybe I was wrong in thinking this..

Back