3/4 inch copper issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burdbrew

Reaction score
I just created a new set up for a 15 gallon industrial cooler (galvanized outside, stainless inside). I thought I would use 3/4 inch copper to make the manifold as opposed to 1/2, thinking this would keep my pump super flooded during RIMS recirculation. I am also using 3/4 inch copper pick up in my kettle.

When I pump from either vessel, it acts like the pump is starving for fluid. I've had to shut off the RIMS for fear of scorching.

Does anyone else use 3/4 inch? As an engineer, I'm a pretty good accountant, so any wisdom is appreciated. I'm thinking about going back to 1/2 inch, but thought I would tap into the collective experience here.

With a 15 gallon mash tun I doubt flow through the manifold is your issue. You are far more likely to have your flow constriction be the grain bed. I would look into using a grant and a float switch.

Thanks for the post LU. That tracks too because I filled the tun with water and pumped it out, no issues.

So I may have a stuck sparge is what you're saying? The grain bed is constricting flow? I may have to go with a false bottom. I have added more slits to the manifold, and I will start very slow next time, see where I get.

I am not sure I would go as far as to say you have a stuck sparge, but it sounds (especially if it works OK with water) that it is the grain bed.

In engineering we typically take complex systems and replace them conceptually with simpler systems which we can model but are similar enough to be an approximation, I could go into more detail as to when you can and can't replace things but that is why I get paid to engineer things...

Anyway, we can conceptually replace the grain bed with a pipe, say a 1/8 in pipe (for conversations sake). It wont matter how big of a pipe you have going in or out you can only push so much through that 1/8 in pipe. It sounds like for the rest of your system that 1/8 in pipe is not big enough.

Things that will affect the equivalent size of that pipe include, grain particle size, mash tun side (diameter far more than depth) and the size/number of holes in your main-fold / false bottom.

A false bottom should help (don't know how much it would help), using rice hulls should help a lot, opening the gap on your mill should help too. I would start by just pumping slower if you can.

Back