3/4 Gallon through the blow-off!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hefeweizen

Reaction score
Sunday night I started my second batch of beer, an Oatmeal Stout. Everything went fine and Monday morning primary fermentation was chugging away. When I came home from work Monday evening I had noticed that the jug I had the blow-off tube going into had overflowed. No big deal. But then I looked at the carboy and noticed that I had lost about 3/4 of a gallon of brew.

My question is, should I add more water to the brew or just leave it alone? I am okay with watering it down a bit as it should have had a pretty decent alcohol content (SG was 1.055).

Thanks for the advice!

-Ron

I would leave it alone. Adding that much water is going to change the taste. I would look into getting a 6.5 gal carboy for fermenting. Think of it as an 8 beer learning experience

Don't water it down. You will notice it in the flavour of the beer if you do. Just accept the loss.

Next time, you might consider using some Fermcap or Foam Control drops in your fermenter when you use oatmeal, wheat, rye etc. All that protein in those adjuncts really makes for a lot of krausen, but the foam control will keep it from blowing off and out of your fermenter.

Back