3 1/2 gallon primary for $2.50 w/lid (#2 plastic??)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bucknutbrew

Reaction score
Question: My Giant Eagle has a bunch of empty white buckets from the bakery for sale. They are selling for $2.50 each and they have a lid. Is this safe to use a primary for apfelwein?

I would need to figure out how to make a air tight hole for the airlock.

Most likely food grade if from a bakery but you can check the bottom and google for info on that particular brand of container. Take your air lock to the hardware store and fit a snug rubber grommet on the end. Then drill a hole in the lid for the grommet, keeping in mind that the hole is smaller than the outer dimension of the grommet. Should show the size in the hardware store bin that they came from. LHBS should have them as well with less effort on sizing.

Knowing what was previously stored in the container is about the only other thing you'd need to know. Assuming it wasn't something toxic, root beer, or pickles, you should be fine. You mention that they came from a bakery, so I doubt they were used for any of that.

The only other thing I'd want to know is what the **** a Giant Eagle is doing with a bunch of plastic buckets? Don't they normally eat fish and rodents? :drunk:

Back