2nd yeast starter....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FreeLordBrewing

Reaction score
Hey everyone I did a quick search, but got more confused ha ha a quick question...I see people say it's ok to over pitch, and some say it's not ok. And others say it's worst to under pitch. and others say you should pitch exactly as much as you need.

the next batch I plan on hitting an OG of about 1.070. (Making an Imperial Kölsch).

using Mrmalty.com I found I need to pitch a yeast starter consisting of 241 billion.

Based off of my research (and using the 200 grams of extra light DME and adding enough water to bring to 2 liters formula and hitting an OG for the starter at around 1.030-1.040) I plan on pitching 2 Wyeast smack packs of 2565 kölsch yeast. Each containing 100 billion cells.

I should yield approximately 300 Million in a 24 hour period based off this table I found on the web. The colored numbers representing the # of yeast packs containing 100 billion yeast cells each added to the starter. (upper numbers = the amount of liters in the starter, and the target # of yeast in billions on the left).

stepping-up-yeast-starter-table-large.jpg

is there a way I can get closer to my target number of yeast cells?, or should I just over pitch?? will the extra 59 million yeast cells impart off flavors? I only have a 2000ml flask should I purchase a larger one and make a 3 liter batch?? looks like my only option.

If I was pitching yeast tomorrow I'd purchase another pack and over pitch. (not enough time for starter to produce the numbers as I haven't started my starter yet).

does over pitching affect flavor??

FLB,

Sorry I can't help you with your overpitch/underpitch question.

Have you seen this yeast calculator? I like it better than MrMalty because it allows you to do step starters and there is an option for the type of aeration method used. A stir plate is a great piece of equipment to have but not a requirement for starters.

http://yeastcalc.com/

Back