2nd tainted beer in a row!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4allMI

Reaction score
Brewed an IPA designed by myself and the first time i brewed it, it turned out amazing and all of my friends loved it! I brewed it again and pre bottle I checked the FG and was spot on and tasted and smelt amazing, even more aroma than what I anticipated with a bitterness that complimented the beer. I added priming sugar and bottled like normal. i opened a bottle (2 weeks in bottle) and it foamed up like crazy and tasted some what metallic and had no aroma of hops what so ever. This is my second beer in a row that did not turn out. I have not changed my sanitazing practices and have made great beers. I do use iodine and dilute it as necessary. I put my bottles in the dishwasher as well as sterilize them using iodine. Any answers? I am looking for a remedy.

Is it just one bottle, or are they all highly carbed and metallic tasting? Any chance you're using detergent in your dishwasher? Also, if your dishwasher has a sanitize cycle, you can use that alone. Again, don't use detergent. Otherwise, I prefer star-san over all other sanitizers.

No unfortunately it wasnt just one bottle. I dint use detergent in the d/w just hot water. I was thinking of using star-san instead on iodine for sanitizing

We need more info. Was it just one bottle or multiple? Was beer stable at FG before bottling? How bout your tubing, bottling wand, siphon, bucket spout? All those clean/sanitized/replaced?

If its just one bottle, maybe that one wasn't cleaned or sanitized well and the others are good. If its all of them, I'd look at your tubing, siphon or bottling wand for gunk.

We need more info. Was it just one bottle or multiple? Was beer stable at FG before bottling? How bout your tubing, bottling wand, siphon, bucket spout? All those clean/sanitized/replaced?

If its just one bottle, maybe that one wasn't cleaned or sanitized well and the others are good. If its all of them, I'd look at your tubing, siphon or bottling wand for gunk.

Its been 4 bottles now. I used an auto siphon, cleaned and sanitized all tubing, but how often should tubing be replaced? Mine is two years old and have made 10 beers. maybe time to get new tubing? any suggestions on post brewing cleaning of tubing? I have heard of ppl using oxiclean free

I would break down all of my equipment and soak it in hot bleach water for a few hours. If the siphon tubing is cloudy or discolored i would cut it off or replace it. second thing i would do is check that i am diluting my sanitizer correctly and that it is within its expiration.
If you don't sanitize your bottle caps i would try that as well. They might have picked something up along the way.

It does sound like the infection, if that's what's going on, gets in during bottling. Without witnessing the process or reading it in gory detail it's hard to pinpoint whats going on

Back