2nd runnings yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madmannvan

Reaction score
So the other day I brewed a red IPA, after I collected first and second running and my book was rolling, I went back to my mash tun and filled a couple jars with what little liquid was left. After I pitched my wyeast smack pack in me brew, I dumped what I could squeeze out of the pack into one of the jars covered and let sit on my counter. The next day I saw plenty of new yeast then realized I hadnt boiled it. I had done a mash out at 170 F, fearing it would get contaminated, I made a starter and used a pipet to take some yeast off the bottom of the jar. It has been on the counter for 30 hours now looks good no mold or anything and smells appley.
Do you think this yeast will be ok as I'm brew in two days and hoped to use it? Or is the risk of infection too high?

Cheers

After I pitched my wyeast smack pack in me brew

I like the leprechaun-style wording here.

Back to the point.. I don't know if I would use it. Wort needs to be boiled before pitching yeast, unless you're doing a no-boil berliner or something like that. There might be some lacto building up in there or some other microbes you might not want.

I wouldn't risk an entire batch on something like this. If it were me, I would just grab a fresh pack of dry yeast for about 3 bucks

Long rests at high temps might have been enough to pasteurize the liquid you ran off.

I'm not necessarily disagreeing with mr walrus above me, just saying it's not guaranteed that the liquid can't make clean beer. If it were me, I'd be cracking open a pack of US-05 and calling it good. Well, I don't use liquid anymore, so I would be doing that anyways, but you get the point.

:drunk: Wait, what were we talking about?

If everything was well sanitized, I might risk it. Have you sized the new starter to the gravity of the recipe you will be doing??

It sounds like everything is just off the cuff. You may be pitching questionable yeast that is less than a fresh pack.

I personally wouldn't trust it. Your mash tun is full of lacto and probably your valve and other things on there too.

Back