2nd fermentation or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kpipes68

Reaction score
So, my 3rd batch is fermenting (Irish red). I have racked from the primary to a secondary fermenter on my first two batches and the beer turned out great and clean (see pic). I have been reading the secondary step is unnecessary but I just watched a video on racking from the primary to the bottling bucket. The guys in the video recommended that you pour the finished beer into glass to avoid any sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I have not had any sediment in my bottles beer using the secondary. I know you can do it either way but it seems like using a secondary fermenter produces a cleaner beer. Could be a rookie theory, I would like to skip the extra step but I'm having a hard time skipping the secondary fermenter. Thoughts?
20190430_191318.jpeg

So, my 3rd batch is fermenting (Irish red). I have racked from the primary to a secondary fermenter on my first two batches and the beer turned out great and clean (see pic). I have been reading the secondary step is unnecessary but I just watched a video on racking from the primary to the bottling bucket. The guys in the video recommended that you pour the finished beer into glass to avoid any sediment in the bottom of the bottle. I have not had any sediment in my bottles beer using the secondary. I know you can do it either way but it seems like using a secondary fermenter produces a cleaner beer. Could be a rookie theory, I would like to skip the extra step but I'm having a hard time skipping the secondary fermenter. Thoughts?View attachment 624798
Cold crash for 24-48 hours had worked out really well for me

Using a secondary is only going to introduce oxygen and possibly bacteria. There will always be some sediment in the bottom of a bottle that was bottle conditioned, regardless of if you used a secondary or not.

I dont have any way to get the temp down and keep it there. It would take up my entire fridge. Your probably right about oxygenating the beer. How long would you recommend it staying in the primary before bottling?

There's a place for secondary, but only with specific styles. Ciders, meads and wine excluded, extended bulk aging (10+ weeks). Sometimes fruit/adjunct additions, though anymore, I just add after primary fermentation has calmed down, just like dry hopping. Single vessel fermentation has less options for contamination under orinary home-brew practice.

See single vessel pale ale below. This was "my" sample at kegging time. Approx 2 weeks in the fermenter, cold crash, then straight to the keg. If bottling, I'd prime each bottle and fill from my fermenter to minimize contamination or oxidation.
20190330_100953.jpg

There's a place for secondary, but only with specific styles. Ciders, meads and wine excluded, extended bulk aging (10+ weeks). Sometimes fruit/adjunct additions, though anymore, I just add after primary fermentation has calmed down, just like dry hopping. Single vessel fermentation has less options for contamination under orinary home-brew practice.

See single vessel pale ale below. This was "my" sample at kegging time. Approx 2 weeks in the fermenter, cold crash, then straight to the keg. If bottling, I'd prime each bottle and fill from my fermenter to minimize contamination or oxidation.View attachment 624805
When you say prime each bottle, is that different than adding the dissolved priming sugar to the entire batch and then bottling?

I would like to skip the extra step but I'm having a hard time skipping the secondary fermenter. Thoughts?

Try skipping the transfer to secondary and see what happens.

Back in 2013, AHA did an "Ask the Experts" with John Palmer where someone asked about performing a secondary fermentation. You can read the answer here.

There is always a risk of contamination when transferring wort/beer. Good cleaning and sanitation practices will reduce the chance of contamination to almost zero.

Minimizing oxygen exposure (and flushing with CO2) when transferring beer is essential for some styles (like NEIPAs). Many people will state, that for their taste in beer, it is essential for all beer styles. Others may simply choose to stay out of the 'discussion'.

When you say prime each bottle, is that different than adding the dissolved priming sugar to the entire batch and then bottling?
Carb drops, 1 per 12oz bottle (2 per 22 or 750ml). Or lazy/cheap like me, sugar in each bottle. Sanitized measurement spoon and stainless steel funnel and let dry. Assembly line to prime then bottle.

Carb drops, 1 per 12oz bottle (2 per 22 or 750ml). Or lazy/cheap like me, sugar in each bottle. Sanitized measurement spoon and stainless steel funnel and let dry. Assembly line to prime then bottle.

Shoot I think it's the opposite of lazy to scoop the right amount of sugar into each bottle . That's tedious lol

I have individually primed bottle, with tabs, it was a royal PITA.. I was also worried about making sure that each bottle was primed and that I didn't accidentally put two in one bottle. It is so much easier to batch prime in a bottling bucket. It is also easier to fill the bottles that way. Yes the beer is exposed to oxygen. I have never had any problems.

OP, there will always be sediment in the bottles, that is the yeast that has settled. Different yeasts and how clear the beer became in primary.
cold crashing helps or just longer time will clear most beers.

I have done only 3 secondaries in my 7 3/4 years. One was the first beer, the other two had additions that wouldn't fit in the primary vessel easily.

... worried about making sure that each bottle was primed and that I didn't accidentally put two in one bottle.

My 'secret' to avoiding missing a bottle (or double dosing a bottle) is to put a cap on the bottle immediately after adding the carbonation tablet (or loose sugar).

My 'secret' to avoiding missing a bottle (or double dosing a bottle) is to put a cap on the bottle immediately after adding the carbonation tablet (or loose sugar).

Still way too much trouble and with tabs you cannot adjust the amount of carbonation and dosing with sugar is pretty inaccurate. Maybe if you made a solution then dosed with a syringe. But again... What a PITA.

It looks to me that there's clearly sediment in the beer you show in the pic. It's just suspended. I'm guessing that whatever sediment you had was mixed in with the beer as you poured it.

When you bottle condition you'll get a certain amount of sediment; it's the yeast and there's little you can do about it. That's why it's often recommended that you decant the beer into a glass so as to leave the sediment behind. That yeast will usually taste sour/bitter or similar, and most don't want that interfering with the flavor of their beer.

Still way too much trouble and with tabs you cannot adjust the amount of carbonation and dosing with sugar is pretty inaccurate. Maybe if you made a solution then dosed with a syringe. But again... What a PITA.

I won't disagree with your experiences.

When I bottle, I get results that I enjoy by dosing individual bottles. And I may give batch priming a try at some point in time.

I won't disagree with your experiences.

When I bottle, I get results that I enjoy by dosing individual bottles. And I may give batch priming a try at some point in time.
Thanks!!! I brewed this past Sunday. It seemed like the fermentation was pretty aggressive and I'm seeing a bubble every minute and half or so right now. I took a gravity reading (see pic). According to the recipe FG should be 1.011-1.015. I think I'm close to the range but I really feel like I should let it stay in the primary for at least another week before bottling. Any advice is much appreciated.
20190502_174333.jpeg

I think I'm close to the range but I really feel like I should let it stay in the primary for at least another week before bottling. Any advice is much appreciated.

I'm rarely in a hurry to bottle the batch. I'll often let a beer sit for a while after FG has been reached so that I can bottle on the weekend. And the beer comes out fine.

Patience! I never take a gravity reading before day 14. I could probably push it a couple of days, but why bother. I am not in that much of a rush and feel the beers are better by making sure the fermentation is complete and that the yeast have had the time they need to do what they do.

Shoot I think it's the opposite of lazy to scoop the right amount of sugar into each bottle . That's tedious lol
Kind of. But I'm too cheap to buy carb drops. Or possibly don't think about it.
I also keg 85-90+% and bottle the rest for on the go.

Back