2nd batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MadMarty911

Reaction score
Well gents I just finished bottling my Irish red after about 6 weeks in the primary. Tasted amazing if a bit watery but I'm excited for the final product. For batch 2 it's a coopers ( I think ) English bitter. Should I substitute the yeast with safale-04 I have? Also would a dark DME be better than regular sugar/dextrose? Thanks in advance!!

don't use s-04 for a bitter. that yeast is meant for a malty brew, which a bitter isn't. if it's 1 or the other, stick with the yeast they give. as far as the dme, same problem. dark dme will make it malty. sugar dries it out, and a bitter should be fairly dry to let the hops shine through

the US-04 yeast needs to ferm at a lower temp (60f-64f) so unless you can keep the temp down i would go with the yeast in the kit. i'm pretty sure the yeast in the kit will do better ferminting in the low 70s. keep the us-04 for the winter when its easier to keep the temps down.. my 02cents. As far as the dme.... I've never used a dark dme befor, it might change the flavor and color(maltier and darker). Dont know what to tell you, it would still be a drinkable beer though.

Back