2nd Batch Underway! Caramel Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrSpiffy

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I hit the LHBS today and picked up ingredients for my second-ever homebrew! I did some looking around and stumbled upon Cheesefood's Caramel Cream Ale recipe, and decided to give it a shot! I didn't take as many photos this time around, since we all know what homebrewing looks like. But I do have a couple photos for you.

1lb of cracked/steeped Caramel 60L grain. I forgot to mill it at the store, so I just used a large zip-lock bag and a rolling pin to crack the grain.
CaramelCreamAle-01.jpg

Malt extracts (3lbs each extra-light DME and Bavarain Wheat DME):
CaramelCreamAle-03.jpg

CaramelCreamAle-02.jpg

Lactose for sweetness/body:
CaramelCreamAle-04.jpg

Hops!
CaramelCreamAle-05.jpg

Irish Moss:
CaramelCreamAle-10.jpg

German Ale yeast:
CaramelCreamAle-11.jpg

What I enjoyed whilst brewing!
CaramelCreamAle-12.jpg

So, the basic process was this:
  • Steep grains at around 160°F for 40 minutes.
  • Add all 6 lbs of DME.
  • Add Cascade hops and boil for 60 min.
  • Add Saaz hops @ 40 minute mark of the boil (add to boil for 20 minutes)
  • Add 4oz of lactose at 45 minute mark (add to boil for 15 minutes)
  • Add 1 tsp of Irish Moss at the 50 minute mark (add to boil for 10 minutes)
  • Add Tettnang hops at flameout.
  • Cool to room temperature, add 2oz of pure vanilla extract. Aerate (shake) the wort, and pitch the yeast.

Before pitching the yeast, I had a slight panic attack when I took my OG reading. It was insanely low, at 1.022! But others told me that I just needed to stir the wort with the top-off water more thoroughly, and then my OG read much better, at around 1.052.

The additional DME will be instead of corn sugar for priming the bottles. After 1 week in primary, I'll rack to secondary for 2 weeks. When I'm going to bottle, I'll add additional lactose, vanilla, and DME. Then the bottles sit for 3 weeks to condition.

I wonder if I'll even make it that long before I crack a bottle! It sounds delicious. Anyway, I'll post updates as I go along. This was definitely a little more involved than my first brew, but I'm enjoying it! I'm interested to find out what effect the lactose will have on my brew.

On a side note, the Central Waters Peruvian Morning was quite delicious! It's a bourbon-barrel-aged stout. You definitely notice the bourbon aroma and flavor, but it's not overwhelming. It has a nice, smooth (almost creamy) mouthfeel, and medium-to-full body. It's tasty, but it's seasonal and a little pricey at $10 per 4-pack. Definitely worth checking out, but more than I'd normally pay for everyday beer.

You will love it. Probably my favorite (and everyone else's favorite) that I have brewed so far! I am about due for another batch actually.

Good thing I just hit the LHBS and got a blow-off tube! I caught this batch just as it was starting to bubble through my airlock tonight. Popped it off and put the blow-off tube on. Hopefully I won't lose too much liquid. From what I keep reading, it sounds like it's awesome stuff!

I'm wanting to try this beer too. Im a noob so probably stupid question but how much was your boil and final amount in your fermenter. :) thanks

**When I'm going to bottle, I'll add additional lactose, vanilla, and DME. Then the bottles sit for 3 weeks to condition.**

New to brewing but haven't heard of adding anything but priming sugar before bottling. What does this do (above) and how much are you adding?

Kelbell, I did a partial boil of around 3 gallons or so, and then topped off in the carboy to the standard 5-gallon mark. (Actually, I over-topped-off to nearly 5.25 gallons...oops!) All-in-all, it wasn't that difficult to make. I would highly-recommend a muslin bag for the grain. Also, don't forget to crack it before you steep it. Either mill it at the store, or hit it with a rolling pin in a zip-lock back. That'll open up the flavor and give you just a bit more sugar to ferment.

surfbum, I'm just following the directions by the author of that recipe. Here's where he describes adding more DME, lactose, and vanilla at bottling time. (And his next post down, post #15 explains just a bit more about adding the rest of the lactose and vanilla.) DME (dry malt extract) has a ton of fermentable sugars (shoot, it pretty much IS sugar!), which is why we use it for normal brewing, along with flavor. Adding DME instead of corn sugar, from what I hear anyway, gives the brew just a touch more body and less dryness during the carbonation process. Basically, it's just a substitute for corn sugar for the yeast to ferment and carbonate your beer. Keep in mind, this is only my second brew. And I did use corn sugar in my first one. So, I'm by no means an expert on this stuff, even if I try to portray myself as such. :)

Just bottled this brew today, at an FG of 1.011. This should put it right around 5.4% abv. The hydrometer sample tasted pretty good, even before adding the final DME, lactose, and vanilla for bottling. Looking forward to tasting the final product!

Couldn't help myself... I put a bottle in the fridge last night. Gotta try it this weekend! If it's tasty, I'll even hand a few out at our party tomorrow.

Just tried one of these tonight, and it really is delicious! I think it's still going to improve over time, though. It's light, has nice carbonation, poured with a good head, and had plenty of vanilla flavor. I might tone down the vanilla just a bit next time, but I'm really happy with how it all turned out. Great recipe! I'll definitely have to make this one again. I'll post a picture soon. It definitely wasn't as lightly-colored as I had anticipated.

Back