2nd Batch Time

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Panzermann

Reaction score
My first batch (Bock Beer) is 5 days in and I can no longer sit and wait, it was imperative that I get started on #2 NOW! haha

I just scored a 15g Fermenting Barrel for $5, a 6g Glass Carboy for $20

I am going to use the 6g Glass Carboy as primary here..I am going for a Dos Equis Amber clone...with the help of my LHBS, this is what I got kit wise (might be my last kit).

Brewmart Mexican Style Kit
2lbs Light DME
7g Coopers Yeast

I am going to start cleaning and sanitizing my equipment... :ban:

It was tougher simply because this was my first time doing a glass carboy, getting the temp right and even getting the temp took some work....awe ****...gotta go get a hydro reading...****! :mad:

You know, I certainly wish at least one person out of the 30 that have viewed this could have commented or given some advice. I've had a hell of time with this, temp wise, siphoning, hydrometer reading, shaking this up. The yeast is just sitting on top in a little cloud. I'm sure that will be fine, just some reassurances needed for a newb.

Hydro reading is damn near at 1.090, maybe because I couldn't mix the batch completey like I would if I were using a plastic fermenter?

You gotta understand man, this is a skill of guess-test-revise, and your first post didn't exactly invite responses besides "good luck!".

So i'll be happy to give you a good luck:] but if you want tips/help you're gonna have to be a little more specific. a lot of threads go through here everyday.

but congrats on getting your second batch going.:]

Ok, I have just had a rough time over here! Wanted the temp around 72 degrees, just couldn't get it...got it to 68-69..pitched and shook it like hell (shook like hell after getting it all in too). Forgot the hydrometer reading....hell of a time siphoning (never done it before), I went old school and siphoned, none went back in so I am not worried there.....

The hydrometer reading is damn near 1.090..i would think it would have been 1.070ish???? Is my reading off due to me not being able to completely stir the wort and water together? The yeast appears to be sitting on top ina cloud...that should be fine though.

Any ideas on the hydrometer reading? I used the Brewmaster Mexican Style Kit and 2lbs Light DME.

Some pics

DSCN1835.jpg

DSCN1836.jpg

Yeast cake I assume..should be no problem once they kick in.

DSCN1840.jpg

The last line there is the 80..so you can see it is almost at 90, you can just see 90 above the surface.

DSCN1839.jpg

It looks great. The reading may be off because of a couple of different reasons, which is why i like to stir mine after i mix the wort/water and before I put the yeast in. Then I put the yeast on and give it a few very gentle stirs, but I guess that's not plausible in your carboy.

Also pick up an auto-siphon if you haven't already, it's full of awesome.

One thing worth mentioning, it's not recommended to use your bottling bucket as a primary or secondary. Just something to keep in mind. But the beer in the carboy looks great. Give it some time and it'll turn out well :mug:

Yeah, I have another 5g Better Bottle for secondary purposes, if I even choose to use it at all. I am taking final gravity reading on the Bock tomorrow (1wk point)

Ok, got home and BOOM! Gusher city....couldn't even see the airlock

Glad I put a towel over it just in case

DSCN1845.jpg

It smells good in here though

DSCN1846.jpg

One thing worth mentioning, it's not recommended to use your bottling bucket as a primary or secondary. Just something to keep in mind. But the beer in the carboy looks great. Give it some time and it'll turn out well :mug:

Why not? I was planning on doing this myself.

BrewOnBoard

it looks like you brewed the bock a week ago?

You'd be best to wait longer (3+weeks) The yeast will have plenty more to do.

I bottled my first batch after 15 days and i wish i would've waited longer.

Racked her up, she looks and smells wonderful!

DSCN1851.jpg

DSCN1852.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

Question: Since you have that wonderful little tap looking thingy on your bucket, why did you use a siphon? Seems like you could have avoided the trouble of sanitizing the tube if you used the tap.

BrewOnBoard

Question: Since you have that wonderful little tap looking thingy on your bucket, why did you use a siphon? Seems like you could have avoided the trouble of sanitizing the tube if you used the tap.

BrewOnBoard

I think you are confused, I would need the siphon regardless. I could probably have attached the hose to the other piece on this cap, but didn't even think about it really, the hose was already attached to my auto-siphon.

Back