2nd Batch Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcgifford

Reaction score
Just bottled my second batch this past Sunday. NB's Petite Saison.

Here's my question/concern. My first batch took forever to carbonate, and this batch seems to have already carbonated. It took about a month on my first batch, and this morning(day 3) the bottles were already hard as a rock.

I bottled both batches in 750 mL PET bottles, using the Cooper's carb drops both times. I know there should be some deviation in times with different recipes, but this seems a bit extreme. The temp where each batch was bottle conditioned was similar, though maybe a few degrees warmer with this current batch.

I'm concerned my fermentation stuck, but my hydro readings were right on target for a week before I bottled. Total fermentation time was almost a month. Bottle bombs also concern me a bit.

Please quell my fears.

a month to carbonate is normal. as far as your second batch carbing extra fast, the first thing that comes to mind is yes the few degrees can make a difference. its not imposable that your fermentation was stuck and has now become unstuck. are you sure you used the right number of drops this second time. how many did you use? if your worried about bottle bombs stick them in the fridge and leave them there. you can also try relieving the pressure by slightly unscrewing the caps.

2 drops in each bottle, as what was called for. Used 2 drops with each batch.

The more I think about it, I think it's the temp difference as well. Just took me surprise with my limited experience that they carbed up so quickly.

Temp and gravity are the two factors that contribute to the time it takes to carb beer. But if a beer's not ready yet, or seems low carbed, and you added the right amount of sugar to it, then it's not stalled, it's just not time yet.

Everything you need to know about carbing and conditioning, can be found here Of Patience and Bottle Conditioning.

Back