2nd Batch of Turbo Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellafella

Reaction score
OK, now I have a demijohn spare, I have gone for attempt 2 of Turbo Cider.

I am using ALDI's apple juice again but this time with 160gm of sugar and I have added a teaspoon each of pectolase, yeast nutrient and citric acid.

I have started with 4L of juice to allow for vigorous fermentation and will top up when it calms down, airlock is on and away we go.

My question is, with the raw juice coming in at 1046 OG and the 160gm of suger, how do I work out the potential alcohol content? I understand that I have added 35.6gm of sugar extra per litre but not sure how this will affect the OG.

This time I will use and trust the hydrometer to see when fermentation finishes not just say "Oh it cant be done so soon"!!!

Thanks in advance

Rich

You say you added 136 g of what I assume is corn sugar into 4 L of juice to make cider. Corn sugar adds (roughly) 42 points/lb/gal. Based on that, I'd say your sugar added roughly 0.013 to your OG. Hydrometer should bare that out.

This is assuming you are only making 1 gallon (roughly 4 liters).

here's how i do it:
first 160 / 4 = 40 not 35.6, right?
gravity roughly translates to percentage of sugar (at least close enough for our purposes), % sugar means grams of sugar per 100 ml, and is also the scale called brix.
using an online table like this
http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/ogbrix-conversion/
you convert 1.046 = 11.4 % sugar (brix)
you added 160 g to 4 L, that's adding 40 g per L, or 4 g for every 100 ml (=4%)
11.4% + 4% = 15.4 %
convert 15.4 brix back to gravity = 1.063 an estimate of og

Thanks for the replies, sorry I hadn't said i will be making 4.5L final so thats where my 35.6 came from!!

here's how i do it:
first 160 / 4 = 40 not 35.6, right?
gravity roughly translates to percentage of sugar (at least close enough for our purposes), % sugar means grams of sugar per 100 ml, and is also the scale called brix.
using an online table like this
http://www.skotrat.com/go/default/brewing-info/ogbrix-conversion/
you convert 1.046 = 11.4 % sugar (brix)
you added 160 g to 4 L, that's adding 40 g per L, or 4 g for every 100 ml (=4%)
11.4% + 4% = 15.4 %
convert 15.4 brix back to gravity = 1.063 an estimate of og

this is really good advice, thanks :)

Back