2nd batch of beer is it infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baddagger

Reaction score
well im not sure if this is infected or not but the top of the beer looks soo differnt from my last beer i made here are some pics

PIC_0188.JPG

PIC_0189.JPG

PIC_0191.jpg

PIC_0193.JPG

PIC_0195.JPG

Can't say for sure, but it doesn't look good. I've never had fermentation that looked like that.

kool thanks for the input guys...

i was a bit nervous cause ths is the dogfish head recipie for the orange beer... and i had to poke the bag threw the small hole in the carboy with my fingers that holds the oranges and zest ..and i was afraid that something got in and caused a infectiong...... but i did keep the bag and orange stuff in water at 160 degree for about 30mins.. and i did put my hands in a batch of five star and dunked it a few times before i did finger the 2 bangs in.

I had that on my IPA,with my "clone" of DFH's color/malt profile. It looked like my beer was in camouflage. lolz. Rambo beer anyone?...

heck in the pics it looks like that a brain is growing..... mybe somehow i am growing a new and inteligent lifeform.. that can teach us how to make the worlds best beer.....

Pretty ugly looking, though.

Recently I showed a friend a batch I had fermenting (he's not a brewer, but likes good beer) and after he saw the lovely greenish-puke krausen said, "yeah, maybe I'd enjoy the beer better if I hadn't seen that."

i was a bit nervous cause ths is the dogfish head recipie for the orange beer...

This was the second beer that I ever brewed as well, great choice, it has never failed me and always been an attention getter when I bring it to get togethers. Try it using 4 monster Torocco Oranges, that was my best batch of this yet.

To add to your ease, I have always fermented this beer in my ale pales. When I go to bottle it, the mesh bag holding the zest and fruit from the tea steep and my hop bag (I also tend to drop an additional ounce of hops in, I love hops, what can I say) looks absolutely disgusting. Greenish brown with left over gripping krausen on the edges of the bags.. Truly a horrific, yet misleading sight because hiding behind this hideous bag is a truly fantastic beer.

True story, I too have showed this pre-bottle to some friends to freak them out a bit haha.. Sometimes it's hard to believe the steps and visuals in making a rockin' beer.

who would ever think that making something that looks sooo disgusting like it does in my pics would produce such a GOOD flavorfull liquid that is good to drink...

Back