2nd Batch Ever..need help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePiotti

Reaction score
So this is my second batch that I have made. It's a Octoberfest ale kit. I am 5 days out any my primary fermentation has came to a halt. I had great action within 24 hours and it went strong until tonight. I am fermenting in my insulated craw space that maintains a heat of 60-70 at all times. Is it safe to transfer to a secondary or is my fermentation halted for another reason? It just seems early for it to be finished from what I have read. Thanks in advance for your help!

Everything seems fine. Leave it for another few days at least before even checking the gravity. Also if you haven't yet read as much as possible on here its time well spent. Many of us don't use secondaries unless there's something being added.

It's probably finished with the initial vigorous fermentation. Unless you are planning on aging this brew on oak chips or adding fruit, I'd just leave it in primary for another week or so to let the yeast clean up any fermentation by-products and begin settling. Take a gravity reading on day 14, then another one on day 16. If they are the same, bottle this batch and get ready to brew again.

For your next brew, you might try using a swamp cooler or other means to keep the beer temperature (not ambient or air temp, but actual beer temp) in the low-to-mid 60's. Temperature swings don't make for happy yeast, and ambient temperatures of 70 can potentially mean the beer is actually 75-80. You'll get a cleaner, more consistent fermentation by controlling the fermentation temperature to be as constant as possible.

What yeast did you use? Did you use a starter?

I am new also but others will need this info to help.

I have read numerous posts here that state nottingham and some other ale yeasts start off with a blast and slow down after a few days. You can put your yeast strain in the search box. That may give you a few answers.

Bill

What yeast did you use? Did you use a starter?

I am new also but others will need this info to help.

I have read numerous posts here that state nottingham and some other ale yeasts start off with a blast and slow down after a few days. You can put your yeast strain in the search box. That may give you a few answers.

Bill

Good point. But you also did not mention if you had taken an SG/Brix reading. Check your readings. They will not lie. If your SG/Brix is not where it should be, then it isn't done. Some yeasts tend to do a massive burn out in the first 24/48 hours with the Krausen, but then look like they peter out. In reality, it goes all out in the beginning, but then slows down and takes its time for the remainder of the meal you offered it.

+1 to 3pegBrew

Always have your initial SG down. You can tell a lot from it. Tend to agree that primary is probably done, but you wont be able to confirm without a hydrometer reading.

I haven't taken a reading yet I just happened to check it while emptying a bucket under a leaking pipe (sigh!). Haha. I will take a reading in the morning and wait a another week. Thanks for everyone's help!

There's a thread stickied up above about Fermentation. One of the Golden Rules about brewing beer is DO NOT TRUST YOUR AIR LOCK. Just because you don't see a BLIP, doesn't mean anything.

I freaked out the first time that happened until I read the words of wisdom.

24 hours after pitching until 5 days is average or even slightly longer than average to see visible signs of fermentation for an ale. The yeast still has some work to do so leave it alone (and in the primary) another 10 days before checking the gravity.

BTW- unless you have a special need (like adding fruit) for a secondary, it's best to skip it entirely. Less risk of oxidation that way.

Just to echo what has already been said:
1) The only way to know when fermentation is complete is with a gravity reading, but your description sounds 100% normal and on target

2) My advice is to leave it in the primary for 2-3 weeks. Make sure the gravity is stable and reasonably close to your expected FG and then you are good to bottle. Don't rush it. And IMHO I see no need to move a beer to a secondary vessel unless you are adding fruit or oak (or, maybe, dry hops) or if you are going to bulk age/lager or if you need the primary vessel to brew another beer (in which case I would recommend buying a second primary vessel!)

24 hours after pitching until 5 days is average or even slightly longer than average to see visible signs of fermentation for an ale. The yeast still has some work to do so leave it alone (and in the primary) another 10 days before checking the gravity.

BTW- unless you have a special need (like adding fruit) for a secondary, it's best to skip it entirely. Less risk of oxidation that way.

:mug:

I took everyone's advise and left it in the primary for little over 2 weeks. I bottled and took a sample. It turned out great! A little light in taste, but I was drinking troges "mad elf" while bottling which I'm sure took my taste buds for a ride with my brew. Like any noob I plan to crack one this weekend and see how it turned out.

I would wait at least a week before drinking one so it can carb properly. Glad it turned out well so far.

Bill

Congrats! Be careful with that crawl space. I have never seen one without bacteria and mold about.

cjgenever said:
Congrats! Be careful with that crawl space. I have never seen one without bacteria and mold about.

It's pretty dry. I spent a lot of time sealing it and I have a dehumidifier down there to keep the moisture down. But I have taken extra precautions to not contaminate. Thanks!

I pulled a few out to sample today. I rushed it, but couldn't resist. It turned out great for only my second brew. Great taste, great carbonation, great color. And I'm sure it will only improve with time.

image-1582248393.jpg

Back