2nd batch ever! Couple quick questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

titanangus

Reaction score
Hey guys I'm real curious about a few things in the loom of my impending brew day I have planned for tomorrow actually. It's batch #2 and I'm still a fish (a rookie as we prison guards say lol) so hopefully I'll get a few wise words from you. Batch 1 was an IPA I really liked, but was a bit too much for a lot of those I shared it with. So batch 2 is gonna be an American wheat, which I think will be great for some early spring bbq's. My main question is: can I boost the abv by adding fruit? Blueberries are what I'm leaning toward. Reviews for this recipe are yielding around 3 to 4 percent, 4 being high.. I'd really like it to be a bit boozier than that, plus I like the idea of a blueberry wheat. Appreciate your time and thoughts!

🍻Angus! Angus!🎸

Also if anyone has ever done anything like this, how much fruit should I use for a 5 gal batch?? Thanks again!

🍻Angus! Angus!🎸

I would advise against it if this is batch #2. Let's get the process down with a proven recipe before you start to get adventurous. Just my opinion for a guy with 110 batches under is belt (literally).

Fruit can do all sorts of oddball things to a beer if not done perfectly. It's not like wine which has more ABV. Beer is more delicate.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

But if you were me and gonna try it anyway, you'd hope a seasoned vet could answer a question to help ya out. Haha buddy I'm sure it won't be a five star creation, it's just cold out and I'm bored and wanna try to make something I can show off to the family.

🍻Angus! Angus!🎸

Back