2nd batch - couple of ?s

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KtownBrew

Reaction score
Hey all, getting ready to brew my second batch of beer NB Irish Draught extract kit. First batch was BB Summer Ale and I have really enjoyed it. Have learned a lot from reading here but just need a little guidance.

1. Recipe calls for ~2 weeks primary 2 weeks secondary. After reading on here I plan on just leaving it in primary for 4 weeks. But would like a little affirmation that it is the OK to do this.

2. Fermentation temp - I got the kit with the Danstar Windsor Ale dry yeast. Recipe says that ferm temp should be 64-70. My basement is currently at 66 but has been dipping down to 62 on some of these cold nights. Will I be OK with these temps?

3. Bottling - Again, after reading on here, I should be conditioning at 70. Should I bring my bottles to my living space (>70*) or will they be OK leaving them in the basement at 65*? (I want these ready for when my son comes home on leave from the Navy in mid-Dec)

Hmmm that was actually 3 questions

1) Yep

2) Yep. Even if your basement dips to 62, your beer will be a little warmer since fermentation gives off heat.

3) They'll carb faster at ~70, but they will carb at ~65 (it just may take longer)

1. yes
2. yes - try to keep your fermentation bucket in the 62° range until the krausen subsides. Beer temps during vigorous fermentation can be 5°-10° above the ambient temp.
3. yes, OK in the 65° area but they may carbonate a little bit faster in the warmer area

1. 3-4 weeks primary is fine. At that temperature, you may want to bring It upstairs for a day or two after fermentation slows way down, for a diacetyl rest. Don't bother with secondary unless you're dry-hopping.
2. You can keep the temperature steady by having your fermenter in a large storage container filled with water, this will prevent large swings in temperature. Don't forget to rehydrate your yeast.
3. Your basement may be a little too cool for bottle conditioning. I'd keep them upstairs for a couple of weeks, test the carbonation, then store them in the basement if they're fully carbonated.

Hope this helps.

I know when you start, you want clear cut instructions, but most kit instructions are generic and call for long fermenting periods so there is less risk of someone bottling something that is not done fermenting. Use a hydrometer to determine when its ready and you will be fine. Extra time will clear your beer and will never hurt,but don't let generic instructions control you, as they are probably outdated.
in other words, relax, let your hydrometer guide you and have a brew!
my 2¢

Thanks for all the replies. Makes me feel a little better about the decisions that I was making. So I will just RDWHAHB :mug:

Back