2nd batch brewed tonight (dry hop question)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernie00

Reaction score
I did my second batch tonight. Victory and Chaos IPA.. it went pretty smooth, tried steeping and it went great and I had fun. My first batch was such a success, I have high expectations for this one.

The only problem I got was the Cool down of the worth. Last time during the boil more water evaporated and with the ice + water I added temperature was just right in a matter of minutes. So I assumed same thing would apply... no no no. After the Ice and water I was still at 31C and had use the bath to cool it down.. took more than 50 minutes to do so. hope I did't cause any damage.

I will be dry hopping in a week in a secondary. Do I put the hops in a bag or straight in the secondary ?

thanks for the info.
Eric

Throwing them right in should be fine, but you could bag them for easier extraction I suppose. I've haven't dry hopped anything yet, so I'm not speaking from experience, just from reading about the subject.

You can dry hop either way. Usually you get a little more aroma from loose hops than you do from hops in a bag. The remedy for this is just to add a little more to the bag. The bag is nice because it's easy just to pull it out of the beer and no having to strain hop particles from the wort before bottling.

Also, you did no damage to your wort by cooling it slow, some people will wait overnight for their wort to cool before pitching yeast and the beer still turns out fine.

Good luck.

+1 on Six's response

I used loose hops when I dry hopped, a little bit of a pain to filter it out at bottling time so my next dry hop will be out of bags!

Just a week in the primary, not 3 weeks? Then 3 weeks secondary!

Just my humble opinion:)

Fermenting has begun and it's pretty violent compared to my first batch I did. I'm not sure if it's the liquid yeast I used this time vs last time it was dry but the air lock is going off !

Back