2nd batch, bock beer. recomended yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drathbone

Reaction score
I'm brewing my second batch follow a recipe for a bock beer. It says to use a top fermenting yeast. Does anybody have any recomendations? The ingrediants are as follows:

2 can unhopped DME
1 cup each pale, chocolate and crystal grains
1 oz each tettnang and hallertau hop pellets
5oz corn sugar for priming come bottle time.

I just bottle an AG pseudo bock with german ale WY1007. Tasted awesome.

I actually brewed a similar recipe but AG about a year ago but used Safale S-33 (dry) Ale yeast and it's been one of my favorites to date. It was intentionally a bock recipe with that yeast, just out of curiosity how it would turn out. It was certainly not quite a bock, but boy was it good!

Not to be too picky, but this won't technically be a Bock if you use a top-fermenting (ale) yeast instead of a lager yeast. But lagers are much more difficult and you probably wouldn't want to do that your second time out anyways:)

So, you could go with an english yeast like the previous reply suggests, or an american ale yeast like Wyeast 1056, or a dry yeast like US-05. I would suggest the latter.

I am not sure why the recipe includes "pale grain," but I think you should drop this unless you are planning to do a partial mash.

Good luck, and keep poking around here as you get further into this hobby. Your beer will thank you for it:mug:

Yeah, I used an ale yeast on mine for both the lack of lagering equipment at the time and because I was curious what a bock recipe would be like as an ale. But yes, a bock is a lager, so if you want to stick to the style, lagering is a must.

Back